Floor jack recommendations

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Johnny Blaze, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    My parents got me the HF low profile long reach 2 ton jack for my birthday last year. Its a damn nice jack, and makes it super easy to get under the front cross member with the car lowered 2" on CustomWorks springs.

My only complaint is how fast the jack drops. It uses a little wheel in the top of the handle to open the valve, and when it opens... watch out. It drops crazy fast. You have to be really really careful. I'm not sure why it does this, but other than that issue I love how easy it is to use this jack!

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I bought this jack because it fit under my Camaro.
    https://store.snapon.com/Short-Chassis-Service-Jacks-2-Ton-Floor-Jack-P823612.aspx
    Also put it on Snap-On credit, no interest, and can be serviced by tool rep on the truck. He has parts for it. I would not recommend it. It was expensive, heavy, and hard to pump. I have had another Snap On jack for over 30 years, and it never gave me a problem, but it won't fit under the car. I also have a Blue Point aluminum racing jack that's junk.

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    All of these low profile jacks look exactly the same and must be made by the same company. My Arcan was $150 and looks exactly like the $500 Snap On and the $75 Harbor Freight jack. They are all 31/2" high to fit under Camaros. They are awesome on cement floors but suck outside in the dirt. The dirt gets in those piston springs and makes them stick. I am looking for a good old style jack for use outside.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Just bought the son-in-law a HF Daytona for Christmas. Seems pretty good so far. Basically a Snap-on FJ200 knock-off. It does what its supposed to so far, but I'll hold back the recommended for awhile to see how it holds up.
    Myself I've got a Sears Craftsman that I got for a present from my folks in 1980. It hasn't missed a lick and I use it for everything, including going so far as to use it to jack tree stumps out of the yard. It isn't low profile or fast pump or anything. Never did the first thing to maintain it. I'd buy another if Sears was still selling them.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Most are made in China. The snap on jack is too. It is assembled and tested in the USA. I bought this Craftsman in the early 90's. It made a pop noise one time years ago but never leaked. I put trans fluid in occasionally and now it will slowly drop with weight on it. It might be able to be rebuilt but I can't complain for as much as I have used and abused it. Like leave it outside for months.

Attached Files:

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    That is a good jack. That is like my old one that I could use outside. Mine got bent sideways from jacking on side hills. It still works but not so good. I may have to straighten it better if I can't find another one.

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    I've had the Arcan jack for several years, great jack no problems.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Forgot to mention I still have to pick up on a fender to get it under my Camaro. I forgot that part until 2 days ago when I was putting the 12 bolt in.