Floor jack recommendations

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Johnny Blaze, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2013
    New Washington, IN
    Wasn't sure where to put this.

I would like to hear what other members expereinces have been with various floor jacks.

I have gone through several over the years, and have not found one that I have been pleased with.

I have had 2 AutoZone brand units, lasted a short while but they were only $20.

Bought a 2 ton Sears Craftsman, lasted about 4 years.

Currently have a 2.5 ton Harbor Freight unit, and its about to go to the recycler.

2. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2013
    New Washington, IN
    Thanks for the MOVE mod!

I thought I had seen this forum before but could not find it this morning.

3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I read good things about the COSTCO floor jack fpr under $100

Truth is that a GOOD floor jack is going to cost much more than most
    people reading this are willing to pay.

www.garagejournal.com is THE site for this kind of subject

4. BamaRocker

BamaRocker Veteran Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Meridianville, Alabama
    I have the one from Costco, that thing is a monster...Real solid.

:bowtie:

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I've been through quite a few different brands...I must be tough on them because they don't last me very long before they either start leaking or stop lifting all the way to the top. The one I have now was about $130 and it is no better than the $60 Advance Auto jacks.

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hein Warner, you will never buy another floor jack...pricey yea but worth it. I will not buy a Chinese jack, some stuff you just have to bite the bullet, spend the money and realize you got your money's worth. 20 years from now if it breaks, you will probably be able to find the part.

This is close to what I paid for mine, shop around you might find better price,better shipping or you might find it local. Also check craigslist/ebay, I'd rather pay $200 for some old used made in the US of A jack anyday over the Chinese crap.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/2-Ton-Service-Jack-Made-in-the-USA-P15106.aspx

7. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Bunker Hill, IL
    Walker is another good brand of jacks, I think they may be out of business or bought out now though but they are like Werners and just dont wear out. I will try to get a picture tonight of my big beast jack that I bought a couple years ago for use on my deisel truck. Its a little thick for use on low cars though.

8. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    DO NOT get a Craftsman! The 4-ton model is a piece of crap. My wife bought one for me for Christmas last year. It looked impressive and weighed a ton, but it was junk. It left my car up in the air when it finally broke. It wouldnt hold pressure so you had to keep tightening it, finally the little u-joint shattered. It is also un-repairable. You buy it, its yours. Or Sears will replace it with the same model (also chinese made junk) within 90 days. Over 500 bad reviews on the Sears website!

Ended up getting a nice aluminum one from NAPA, model 791-6431 2 ton that is well built and rebuildable if needed. Low profile, light, and lifts the camaro with just a few pumps.

9. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    This is the Costco jack I purchased couple years ago, best floor jack that I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

10. Biker Beck

Biker Beck Veteran Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN