Flooded Camaro Advice

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Tex70Camaro, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Sorry to hear this.

If it was to the top of the door... The entire electrical system has been submerged along with everything mechanical. :(
    Ductwork, dash, gauges and everything in the interior has been soaked with water and whatever else was mixed in it. (Sand, mud, SALT etc.)

Flushing every system and cleaning or replacing everything interior will be a big job.
    Electrical connection corrosion will produce gremlins until they are all disassembled and cleaned. Especially if it was tidal surge salt water.

I hope it was insured.

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I went back and re-read how high the water was on the car. Terry has it dead on. It's going to be a bitch.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I don't have anything to the advice that has been given. They all have it right on. I just wanted to say sorry to hear about this issue and I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted as to what happens next. This sucks!!!

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    The only thing to add is as was stated before get insurance involved before doing anything. If they decide to total it and you like the car and have the time, really consider buying it back if that's an option and then just disassemble and clean everything. Flooding is not fatal if dealt with correctly. It is much worse on newer cars with all the electronics and sensors and such. Not sure about the originality of the car but it may be worth a bunch parting it out.

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Very first thing to do is pull all the spark plugs an turn the engine over by hand. Some but not all of the cylinders will have water in them because the valves were open on some & closed on others. Get that water out ASAP.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah, I would pull it all apart, gut the interior and wash it out...let it dry out.

Depending on the car, I would let insurance buy me a new engine and transmission.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Do you have any pics?

8. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow, that's going to be a tough slog but doable for sure, as stated above it's a gut job to do it properly, as for the drive train, the trans will have to be pulled, you'll never get the water out of the torque converter while in the car, if the car is going to be sitting for any length of time, drain the rear end and pull the axles to make sure there's no water in the axle bearings, you don't want corrosion to set in this area, it will ruin your axles. Best wishes!