Flooded Camaro Advice

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Tex70Camaro, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Tex70Camaro

Tex70Camaro New Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Houston, TX
    So my Camaro was just totally flooded by Harvey and I need advice on next steps especially on the engine and transmission. I really want to save the car and but I also want to be practical and realistic.

Thanks in advance.

2. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Sorry for your pain! How deep was the car under water?

3. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Fond Du Lac
    Sorry to here that. Drain the Oil engine trans and rear end, and put fresh oil in, Pull the plugs out of the engine and see if you can turn the engine over the engine to get the water out of the cylinders ,than spray oil down the cylinders, drain the gas tank and carb open doors and pull carpet and use a fan to help dry out interior . How deep did it get?

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Never had that happen, but try and spray it down with clean water everywhere external as soon as possible to flush out all the crap. Pull out the seats and carpets. Rinse the seats and air dry and spray the tracks down with WD40. Try to see how high the water went. I've heard of folks draining the oil and and filling with solvent and running the oil pump like priming the engine just to flush out the oil galleries. Then filling with fresh oil and doing the same. May want to pull the drums and flush them out with some brake cleaner. Hopefully it didn't get into the dash gauges and radio level.

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    If it will be an insurance claim ....before you touch the car clean up anything make sure you document everything and take as many pictures as you can especially something to document the water level. Unfortunately we lost everything in hurricane about 10 years ago so I know the procedure very well as far as making a claim. Good luck

6. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Morris, Il
    I had an old Chevy in college that got flooded as in up to the top of the seats. There was water in the rear end and transmission but I had everything changed right away. The car ran for another 100,000 miles after that before I sold it and it was still running.

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Drain all oils and use WD40 to wash all gears then drain them ... you will need to pull the rear and if manual the trans out of the car and wash it with WD40; axles, gears, hubs, synchroze, etc.

Automatic trans drain oil, blow the lines out ... pull it out and drain the converter ... then refill it with fresh oil.

For the Engine Pull the plugs then Wd40 down the holes. Pull the PAN and soak with WD40 ... then fresh oil and good luck.

8. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2008
    ffx, va
    That sucks.
    Sounds like good advice from all.
    An air hose might be your friend also.

9. Tex70Camaro

Tex70Camaro New Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thank you everybody!
    I am going back in today. From what I saw before I left it was to the top of the door. Could have gotten slightly higher. What I have is a 350 engine (no electric ignition) and auto xmsn. When you say turn the engine over, is that manually with a wrench on the pulley? Spray down the cylinders with what?

Stupid question, but where exactly are the plugs that you talking about on the engine? I remember people trying to start their cars after Katrina with gas contaminated with water. How do I make sure all water is removed from the fuel lines? Do I just need to replace the fuel lines since they may start rusting?

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    The plugs they are talking about are the spark plugs. The fuel lines can be blown out with an air hose.