firewall?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by tims78camaro, Nov 30, 2017.

1. tims78camaro

tims78camaro Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2008
    louisville ky
    the driver side of my fire wall has rust pretty bad. do they sell just the driver side or is there somthing else i could do like ive seen pic of smooth firewall

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    If you have a pic of the damage. We would be better able to advise you.

3. tims78camaro

tims78camaro Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2008
    louisville ky
    i been thinking of patchin it just dont like all them bends

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    I don't think they would sell just the driverside firewall. But depending on the tools and skills you have available. An how much you deem your time is valued. It might be cheaper/easier to patch the spit's and then hammer / dolly them smooth. I picked up a 14 or 16 ga piece of sheetmetal 4x5" for around $30. But what I got was thicker then the areas I filled it with.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Working on rust buckets will make you a good metal fabricator. You can patch just about anything if you spend enough time on it. I face these dilemmas all the time; is it worth the time or not? When money is no object a new floor would sure be nice. I never buy sheet metal when there is an unlimited supply of free washers and dryers in the world.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    My neighbor retired from a steel mill here in the Pittsburgh area. He told me they made 24 grades of steel. Cars were made from the lowest grade, 24th. He also noted that washers and dryers were made out of better metal than cars.

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm all for recycling but a nice new sheet of 18-20g electro-galv is cheap and you don't have to spend time scavenging and cleaning it up.

Check out some of the metalshapers forums and tutorials from guys like John Kelly and Rob Fournier. That piece of firewall wouldn't be too tricky to make with a wooden or nylon mallet, sandbag or stump, panel hammer and a basic post dolly.