Firewall clean up

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Rick Merrick, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Started a resto on my 1981 Z28. Anyone have a good way to clean up the sealer the factory used on the firewall? I heated it and scraped most but what is left is a real pain to remove. I was hoping to find some kind of solvent that I couple clean it off with, then scuff and paint. I would rather not strip it down to metal. thanks Rick.

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Quickest & easiest is with a wire wheel on a grinder. Don’t know of a solvent that would work without soaking.

3. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Thanks for the info. Rick.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Just a safety note. I use my Black & Decker 4 1/2 in grinder, it will really spin a wire wheel fast. I've had one of the wires come off an stick in my cheek/face. I now where a full face shield.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  5. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Ouch....good advice...thanks again.

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I used wire wheel on grinder as well....and agree with face protection....

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    There's no easy way to do this short of sand blasting or chemical dipping. Doing this any other way is work for sure, I just did that job a few weeks ago. Best thing I found was a heat gun, hand scraper, and then cupped wire wheel on a 4" grinder in that order. As Larry said make sure to use eye, face, and body protection because wires will be randomly flinging about.
    If you're taking off the old you will want to replace it with new seam sealer, otherwise you will be open to moisture seeping in between the panels.
    20180127_153229370.jpeg

8. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    I use 3M Rolocs on a 90 degree die grinder. Makes short work of it. No wires to pick out of my arms/face either!

9. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Thanks everyone. Hoping to give it a try this weekend.

10. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Thought I would update everyone. Wire wheel worked well. I also found that using a scotch or 3M pad with paint thinner worked good too. Where the wire wheel left some residue, the scotch brite pad and thinner cleaned it up real good. On the the next phase. Thanks Again, Rick.