Fires up and dies once key is released

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Dpatt, Feb 5, 2017.

1. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I had an ignition key switch fail on me before just like this. The car would start and when I let off the key it would die. I just replaced the key switch and it fixed it.

2. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    You said you've upgraded all the wiring recently and when you let off the key the motor kills itself. Based on those two things, I'd double check which post on your ignition you have your coil wire connected to.

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    Easy to test, turn ignition switch and test voltage when on, none when off. Trace the voltage. You should have power going to the coil and distributor.

4. vwtanner

vwtanner Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    I had the exact same problem after checking all of them electrical components it turned out to be the ignition switch. It was worn out and did not stay in the run position. so it had power to the starter in the start position, so the car would start but as soon as you released the key the switch would slide to the off position and the engine would die. Took a while to dignous but it was an easy fix. Just replaced the switch it's mounted on the top of the steering column.