fingernail polish in place of locktite

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by mdatl, Jan 7, 2002.

1. mdatl

mdatl Veteran Member

Jul 23, 2000
    DFW TX
    My neighboor (long time mechanic on cop cars) told me about this one yesterday. Sounds good, has a brush for ease of application yet you can still pour it on if you are so inclined, cheaper (by about a million times), multi-colored (just threw that one in) and you can get glitter!

/s/MTM

------------------
    '74 Red TypeLT. Headers, 2 chamber flowmasters w/ x-over pipe, cam, intake, q-jet, 700R4, 3.08:1 posi (finally), electric fan, HEI, blah blah blah bla bla bla bla

2. Psychohamster

Psychohamster Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Redwood City, CA. USA
    I have done abit of Harley work and every nut and bolt on them needs locktite of one formula or another. I have never heard of using fingernail polish as a substitute before though. One good application for fingernail polish is putting some clear inside chromed allen heads and it prevents them from rusting. Does the polish perform like the red or the blue locktite?

3. TDS-70 1/2

TDS-70 1/2 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2000
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Well, I don't think I'm gonna go raid the wife's makeup and stuff next time I need anything, though. [​IMG] I'll stick to the parts store.

Interesting tip though. I wonder how in the world did they ever come up with that one. Would'nt want to be the first to try it...

------------------
    TomS.

• *'70 Camaro - Lots of: Pieces missing, layers of paint, & best intentions :)
      *'84 Regal T-Type - The other car needing work....
      *A couple brown trucks, too...

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Been using the stuff for years, wouldn't admit it though. Seems to work, better than nothing I think. Use it also on freeze plugs, metal cased seals etc. I got the idea from the old 60s Hondas, had a drop on each bolt head and those damn bolts would never come out.

5. mdatl

mdatl Veteran Member

Jul 23, 2000
    DFW TX
    Tom3,

You talking about like a rear tranny seal?

Why I did not do that yesterday I'll never know. Probably 'cause I had tunnel vision and wanted to get my car together for today?!?

6. Ls1smlblck

Ls1smlblck Veteran Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Did not know that.........

------------------
    81 Z28 350
    th350, 3.42
    T-tops
    My 81Z

7. 71RSZ28

71RSZ28 Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA

This reminds me of a tip published in Hot Rod magazine a long time ago. The tip was to use liquid Maalox (antacid) in place of anti-seize. Get this: it was submitted by an aircraft mechanic!!! I don't want to know how he figured that one out, and what else goes on in his shop. I only remember this because he was from Hawaii too, and I didn't want to fly anywhere after that. [​IMG]

8. n2omichael

n2omichael Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    If you look at the chemical make up of fingernail polish its "plausible" that, yes, it would work as anti seize [I wouldn't use it on anything "important" though] of course model glue would probably "Do" in a pinch.

I just don't think it would hold up to any kind of heat, after all womens figernails don't get real warm [..........there is probably a joke in there somewhere but, I am NOT going ANYWHERE near it!!!!!,LOL!!!!!]]

Michael