Finding Good Employees?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SRGN, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    It's called "entry level" for a reason. You're not going to pay a newb $20/hr to do oil changes & tire work. Kids get their foot in the door and work their way up in pay and skill...... how quickly they climb the ladder is entirely up to them. These kids/guys need to prove their worth before they're going to be paid anything other than entry level wages.... I suspect it's the same from an auto shop to Burger King. I started my current job in 1987 for a whopping $3.50/hr doing oil changes & tires. Within a few months I had worked my way up from General Service to Auto Tech, making more money. Fast forward 31 years later and I make 10x more than I did in 1987. I had the drive and applied myself, the rewards came along with it. Otoh, in the 31 years I've been there, I've watched over a hundred guys come and go, most complaining about the money. The majority never really applied themselves, they waited to have $h!t handed to them.

You can make things happen-
    You can watch things happen-
    Or, you can wonder what happened......

MotionClone and wiseryder like this.
  2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

Yeah but he has a point Mike. You and I were into cars anyway. This profession seemed like a natural for us. A kid not too much into wrenching is going to make a different choice. We've both seen the crap guys have to put up with to "move up" We dealt with it, but I'm not so sure I would do it again with other damn near as lucrative options out there.

3. Mike N

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    It would be nice if the trade schools taught anything relevant in our field...... even starting with the basics would be a big plus. Most of the Wyo Tech, UTI and Lincoln grads I've met are broke and still couldn't fix a sandwich.

Last few new hires we had would whip their iPhones out and either look for answers on YouTube or Google. Heck our Service Manager is giulty of that, too. Then, out comes the diagnostic shotgun and when they run out of parts to change it's "see the dealer" and they push the car back out.

4. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    I pay $14 with a $400 sign on bonus..TO START. I also offer on the job training to become a skilled Mason which pays $25-$30hr working for someone or $45-$60hr working for oneself, takes about 4 years of on the job training for the right person. Still cant find help that isnt high, drama queens, children, know it alls or just plain stupid people. Doesnt have shit to do with pay really. All the trades are having the same labor problem in my area. They ship in migrants now to do service work for the tourist season in some areas.

This has only been a problem in Maine for about the last 8 years.

5. Mike N

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Point taken. Even with what we pay a new hire ($14/hr) I don't see anyone really applying themselves. They still want more money and/or all the gravy work.

I wanted to be a Rock Star...... still trying at 51 to reach that goal.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    MotionClone likes this.
  6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    These days its easier to be a "rock slinger" on a street corner than a rock singer.................unless nepotism is in your favor.

7. Mike N

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    At least I'm just the Bass player. Singers are our issue..... we've fired a half dozen of them for being drunks, criminals and/or addicts.

brooksman9 likes this.
  8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Are we talking bricks, block, and mortar? I've done enough of that to know that it takes a special person to do that work and not be an alcoholic or drug addict. that's brutal boring hot miserable work. Sure lots of satisfaction seeing the finished product, but man...... Maybe the only thing worse is a roofer (not steel).

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I heard it's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll.

Zstar likes this.
  10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I was at a job doing sheet metal work in the 90's While a construction job was going on in the same building. A busch beer plant. This one mason would show up late still in his clubbing dance clothes stinking like alcohol. But then this guy would flat out fly. I have never seen anyone lay concrete block so fast. Not all crooked either. He would yell if the helpers were not fast enough to bring mortar. He had the block set up to just grab and go. He would just smile and smoke while he was going. Impressive.