Finding Good Employees?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SRGN, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Techs that give a damn about the quality of their work are getting fewer and farther between. You would figure it's an age thing but where I work it's the whole spectrum, kids starting out and guys that have been in the industry for 15-20 years. 17-20 years ago at another employer, we were hiring guys right out of one of the big tech schools and we hit on one out of ten, if that so this isn't anything "new"

The education system pushes college for everyone and poo poos blue collar work. Until we tells kids it's OK to work with your hands, fix stuff and build stuff we're going to have this issue. It takes all kinds to make the world work and we as a nation need to bring back trade schooling in high school and quit pushing college as being right for everyone.
    Zstar likes this.
  2. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Fond Du Lac
    We can't find Techs either. They will work till some other company steals them from you for a 2 or 3 dollars more . But a lot a places don't pay well for techs either. So they jump ship
  3. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I struck up a relationship with the local High School that has a tech program. I donated some equipment for their use and education. The teacher speaks highly of my company and lets the kids that are graduating know that we are an excellent opportunity for them to carry on and/or learn a trade. So far we have hired 4 or 5 over the years...I am sorry to say that they all leave for " easier " jobs... most times that don't pay as much or even have full benefits. Snowflakes are falling.
  4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs has been waging a national awareness campaign on this very issue. Not everyone is cut out for college and frankly many of the degrees kids rack up tremendous debt for don't really get them anywhere in the working world. Learning a trade can definitely lead to a great career as well.

Though I do think this employability problem does have a lot to do with the "self-esteem" and "participation trophy" generation...
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Zstar and 1972_Z-28 like this.
  5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    That's the knee jerk reply it seems. It's human nature to point at one thing and decide that's the fix all. Put name on it and feel better about yourself type deal. I personally think it's a much more complicated issue that requires a multifaceted fix.
  6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I sent that to my niece as she wants to be a tech. I told her do what you want and that's what you want go do it. I did say in regards to that article I don't know if I would go into strictly diesel mechanics because I would be worried that in 25 years diesel jobs may be a lot harder to get because I think it's going to be phased out. Being 45 or 50 years old and your job type doesn't exist anymore is bad.
  7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    Why work? Get on disability, some pills (for the pain) that you can sell for some serious money. Move in with a welfare queen that has a couple kids with autism/hyper/LD/etc and live the old life of Riley. End of the month bum off anyone in the family that will take your phone calls from your free iPhone. The new American Dream.... It would sure suck to be a business owner these days and depending on hired help I think.
  8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    its interesting to hear differnt tradesmen talk of their trade. I must agree on several points that have been said... WTF with the half ass job skill QUALITY!!! Even my sons are kinda like that..
    they do their chores 3 times before they actually get them completed a minor standard... :(
    I can NOT remember half assing any job that i was dealt growing up... Only took a couple "field adjustments" by my dad to ensure I knew the difference between half ass and CORRECT!
    Zstar and carr911 like this.
  9. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    it comes down to entry level pay

why would a guy work for $12/hr at some difficult greasy job when he can work at convenience stores around here for $10?

everybody bitches about not being able to find's because the companies don't pay sh*t