Finding Good Employees?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SRGN, Mar 5, 2018.

1. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    We had to fire the other tech at the shop, and I cannot believe how hard it is to find a decent replacement. I'm staying at the shop way too late to finish up, did not realize how hard it is to find decent help. Where are you guys finding good workers? I know there's quite a few techs on here, and I'm getting burned out trying to keep up with the workload.

MotionClone likes this.
  2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I have little advice other than
    1). You get what (or who) you pay for

2). No help is better than bad help

largestar and Smokey15 like this.
  3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Agreed on both counts.

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

Hang out at the American Legion or VFW. Look for a young man who just separated from the military. I've got one on my crew and he probably the best worker I've got. He has some service related issues but they don't affect how he works.

Zstar, Smokey15 and wnmech like this.
  5. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    The entry level labor force in my region is gone. Im seriously looking for LEGAL immigrants at this point rather than locals. Between entitlement mentality and legal substance abuse, even if you get someone to answer the ad, they arent very qualified for the most basic, entry level work. Some of my competition has even closed shop because of lack of help. I m a Mason contractor and the last 3 years Ive worked by myself about 50% of the time.

Youre going to get a bunch of opinions pointing to yourself as the problem (you dont pay enough or you are a bad BOSS) but those come from people who dont run or own a business, only work for one so they dont know what the hell they are talking about.

Ive used craigslist and Indeed to find help but they never work out. Craigslist cost $25 per listing

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    We have 85-90 employees in the field, so we are always hiring. Like motion said, craigslist, indeed. Craigslist has yielded us some great employees, but you have to weed through about 40 people that arent qualified, dont have a drivers license, cant pass a drug test, or have some issues on a background check that we would rather not deal with. I am amazed at how many people will show up, when the ad states, must have drivers license, clean driving record....i dont know if they think we are just going to take their word for it that their DL is good or what. so many times it comes back suspended, whatever, and the applicant is like "really? huh? i thought that DUI, failure to appear, suspension for excess points, running into a busload of nuns, (take your pick of one) was off my license." Dont get me started with the guys that show up here with a CDL that cant drive stick, either.

Work hard, show up on time, everyday, isnt a quality of the younger workforce. We have alot of legal immigrants. There are only a few that can actually drive for us though, and thats the problem. As rough as this may be to hear, they put most of the american workforce to shame. Alot of them have been here going on 15 years or so.

Not sure if this will work for you, it may be more slanted towards construction based individuals that are collecting UE over the winter, but there is a career center type web page that people post resumes on, and as an employer you should be able to post a job opening on. Its through the PA UE, its called careerlink. Not sure how this would be in NJ, but i would assume similar. In PA, people on UE are required to search the site for work, actually even if they have a definite call back date. For me, i think this might be a good place to find more qualified help, with out pay, benefits, etc.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I have some friends who are either business owners or in supervision. I hear the same thing as in the previous posts from them. Many no-shows, even for the job interviews! Then those who show up and think they should be paid just for their presence.

8. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I feel bad that it is my generation that is letting everyone down on this stuff. I guess I'm in the old school when I say I like a steady job with defined hours and would rather stay with the same company for my career rather than move all over. I think I would have been better off living in the 80s rather than be born in the 80s.

Honestly I do not understand those who fail to show up to interviews or fail to show up to work. Do they not understand that you cannot have the "nice things in life" if you don't put in the work to get to them? If I was in dire straights financially, with no job, you damn well better believe I would be putting 200% into whatever work came my way. If I found a job wrenching on stuff you can bet your balls I'd be looking to KEEP that job.

If these mouth breathers are not showing up for work, then where do they get the money they need for food, drugs, or whatever else they pay for???

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I blame a lot on the "parents" who gave in to their every demand, never held them accountable for their bad actions and seldom encouraged them when they did well. Now they expect the rest of the world to do the same.
    Fortunately, there are a lot of exceptions to the rule. Those will be the ones who become both successful and frustrated when they can't get employees from their pier group.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Is there a Technical Trade School in the area? Might find some good people there.