Finding bad grounds...

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by branbell, Dec 10, 2017.

1. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I took it to a local guy who has been repairing alternators and starters for 55 years...really nice guy.

We talked about cars for about 45 min. Saves me the hassle of doing it all myself since I really wouldn't know where to begin.

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Did it test bad?

3. Z28500

Z28500 Member

Jan 26, 2017
    I had a similar problem with a '81 ElCamino except the battery drained overnight. I used a test light on negative battery post to a ground --anywhere-near the radiator, anywhere there was bare metal, the light lit up from basically 2 negatives which of course meant a positive grounding out somewhere. It ended up being at the starter. Which worked by the way. I searched for that short for weeks, disconnecting the hot post every night until I fixed it.

4. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Well we talked so much I had to leave to get back to work before my lunch break was over so I didn't stick around.

I also told him to take his time since I didn't need it right away..he had quite a few other ones he was working on.

5. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Just an update...I did get my alternator fixed. There was a part in there that he says rarely ever is faulty and it just happened to be that. This was a month or so ago and I think he said it had something to do a part that discharges the extra charge and it wasn't clicking off and just kept draining the battery.

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I have used a 12V bulb between the + terminal of the battery and the + battery cable. Pull one fuse at a time and replace it until the light goes out! When the light goes out, that is the circuit that is drawing the battery down.

I've seen bad diodes in an alternator kill a battery. BUT it usually turns out to be a glove compartment light or dome light, hood light, or trunk light that isn't going out.

7. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    43C65917-0155-4D29-995C-BC2F13CBB8B4.jpeg If you don’t drive it much IMHO get a cutoff switch - I like the ones with a knob easy to get and install on a battery.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    What if it is the alternator? What does that mean?