Finally!! I found the perfect one :)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by cjanes81camaro, May 25, 2014.

1. 3504SPD

3504SPD Veteran Member

Welcome. Looks like a nice project. Those 81 Z's were nice. How did you find it?

2. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2004
    FLA
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Welcome to NastyZ! :D

Decent looking car and a great place to start on a project!

The engine bay looks like an archeological find.... Untouched and UNMOLESTED for centuries.

How did the interior survive in storage?
    I hope the overflow caught all the mice!

The hole in the pan and lack of oil concerns me.... Did it happen while it was running (hit something) dumped the oil and possibly seized the engine?

I hope everything sorts itself out within your budget and you get it back on the road to drive your dream again.

Good Luck!

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Canadian mice! Welcome.

5. 1977 RS Type Lt

1977 RS Type Lt Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Winnipeg Canada
    the whole inside of the engine could be rusty because of the lack of oil, dont be surprised if it is toast. rest of the car looks very nice and original though

6. cjanes81camaro

cjanes81camaro New Member

May 21, 2014
    Canada
    Hi Everyone,

I am a little worried about the motor, This weekend I plan on taking off the oil pan (weld it, sand blast & re-paint it) take the rad out and drop the fuel tank. This past weekend I managed to get the nose off. Everything is perfect on the bumper but the fascia will need replacing. I sure hoppe the motor is not toast. As per the storage owner, the guy drove the car into the storage yard and mentioned his wife wanted it out of the driveway, so my fingers are crossed. There is a 120,000km registering on the gauge(gauge is in km, not miles) Pics with the nose off
    View attachment 16587

nose off.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  7. cjanes81camaro

May 21, 2014
    Canada

It has a perfect hole approx 1/8 in diameter. Almost like it was drilled, but perhaps he hit something and that is why his wife wanted it out of the driveway (leaking oil?) I am hoping the removal process is seamless...

8. cjanes81camaro

May 21, 2014
    Canada
    Having coffee in the morning and decided to look on Kijiji and the add was there. The storage owner had listed 3 cars in the add. When I called him he said he was taking the highest bid. I gave him mine and told him I would not be waiting another week and that my bid expires thursday evening. He called me thursday morning and said I could have it (if I wanted it).

9. cjanes81camaro

May 21, 2014
    Canada

Interior is in amazing shape. The seats are excellent (there are cigarette burns behind drivers seat (probably attempting to throw out cig and it flew back in) Rug is even in great shape. the t-tops were not leaking and are still tight. No cracks on the dash or console. Somone has put in an equalizer in the console. That is a bit annoying as that is flat for the computer...will have to see what they were doing there. Will propbably need to replace. I am hoping the engine is not siezed. I am anxious to get in there and see. When I was first looking over the car I checked the dip stick and there was a bit of oil on the tip. When I wiped it away and stuck the stick back in, no oil was on the dip stick.

There was one mouse in the overflow and one on top of the engine. There is no mouse damage to the interior of the car.

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Weird about the oil pan hole.... Hope it was made from the outside and not the inside.

The 81 Canadian export model (kph speedometer) shouldn't have a computer but I believe it would still have the oddball 81 console without the cubby hole.

You could get an earlier console and ditch the equalizer or put it in the cubby. (I had one there for years.)