Finally found a 1973 Z/28 RS-LT with Air Conditioning

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Judd McPherson, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    I went digging for further clarification on the dealer-installed options. I was able to get in touch with Alan Bigelow, the fourth generation operator of Bigelow Chevrolet where this car was bought new. He was a young man working at the dealership under his father in 1973. He went back and talked to his dad and one of the mechanics from that era that is still very close with the family. He confirmed with them that the carburetor, intake and ignition were items that the dealership would install there prior to the sale, and then send the new car owner to a local muffler shop to have headers installed after the formal sale was complete. That way the smog unit wasn’t removed by the dealership. It allowed them to stay compliant with the Clean Air Act and their franchise agreement with General Motors. He is sending me an affidavit stating this to keep with the rest of the documents that I have regarding the history of this vehicle.

On a sad side note, Bigelow Chevrolet was one of the GM dealerships that was closed in 2010 when GM downsized. It is sad to see a family that opened their dealership in 1911 and endured 99 years of the ups and downs of the car business lose their franchise after all of that time. I can’t imagine having a family business yanked out from under you after all of those years!

2. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    twozs,

Here is a write-up from Motor Works website (the garage that did all of the repair work on the car over the years). They have an excellent write-up of the fact that the Holley carb that was originally installed was an EGR valve compliant Holley. The EGR version was replaced with one that wasn't, as mentioned in my original post on this.

http://www.motorw.com/classic_cars/detail/american_vs_british_muscle_cars

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    Great, great looking car. I have skipped over all the drama in this post except to say - It's your car the only thing that matters is what you think.

4. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    Thanks for the compliment! Nasty Z/28 is by far the best forum regarding second-generation Camaros, and was a wealth of information during my search for a car. I have had several people on this forum go out of their way to be helpful. I truly do not believe that I could have found a better car. And you are absolutly right- in the end all that really matters is what I think :)

5. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    By the way Lou, you and I have a lot in common both professionally and personally. Feel free to add me on Facebook (also under Judd McPherson) and check out some of the cars that I have owned. They mirror some that you have had, like a 1968 Shelby GT500KR Convertible, a GM of Canada documented 1969 Chevelle SS 396 Convertible Engineering Department car that won its class at the Meadowbrook Concours d'Elegance in 2007 and several others.

I was checking out your '70 build thread. Great car!

6. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    Lou, here are a few of them together.

[​IMG]

7. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks Judd. Sent you two FB requests, one from my personal page and one from my law office. You have owned some nice cars with "provenance" most of the cars I had were cars I owned when I was younger (ans unfortunately have since been sold. The Shelby I had a paid $2500 for and bought it out of a guys garage where it had about 20 boxes and a big wheel piled on top of it! Put air in a flat tire, jump started it and drove it away.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll take the house and you can take the cars. I'm not a rag top lover. :D

9. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    Before you commit to the house COPO, I need to tell you that it comes with a high-maintenance wife and it is a package deal...

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    1 is enough unless she wants to be the Maid.