Finally found a 1973 Z/28 RS-LT with Air Conditioning

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Judd McPherson, Mar 15, 2015.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    External regulated alternator? What are the dates codes? Where can I find them?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    The one I have in the garage says "2H9"

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I thought by 73 the dealer could NOT remove emmisions parts that were installed at the factory . That was the problem with places like motion and Baldwin chevy and nikky and yenko . The EPA was levying heavy fines against them for violating the " clean air act " and by 73 all dealer involvement wad done ( along with the warentees on such cars ) that's why they were all but gone in 73 . It makes a good story though .who converted the AC to 134a ..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  4. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    While the Clean Air Act ultimately resulted in dealerships not removing emissions, they were still doing conversions up until November of 1973. The last Nickey conversion was done on a 1974 model in November of 1973, and both 1973 and 1974 Baldwin Motion Camaros are well documented. All of these cars had the emissions removed by the dealership. You are correct about the impact of the Clean Air Act, but incorrect about every 1973 that had the emissions removed for dealer installed headers being a "story" as even 1974 models had emissions removed for performance upgrades.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/history/historic-cars/1402-the-last-nickey-camaro/

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-0606-motion-1973-chevy-camaro/

http://www.nastyz28.com/motion/motion.html

The same garage that did all of the maintenance and repairs on the car for the past 33 years converted the AC on 07/30/2014.

5. SDL73Z28

SDL73Z28 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2014
    NJ
    Beautiful, good luck!!!

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Here is a quote from the article you posted . "Every Motion car was invoiced and delivered out of Baldwin Chevrolet until the dealership was sold around 1972. After 1972, cars were obtained from various Chevrolet dealers and Motion cars were invoiced out of Motion Performance. The criteria for obtaining new Chevrolets was based on the dealers ability to deliver a car in a timely manner (and I assume price was a factor too?). Remember, GM was on strike in 1972"....they weren't sold through the dealer. The dealers themselves were out of it but of course the independent preformance shops kept the name . As a dealer you couldn't remove that stuff . They were invoiced out of motion. Not saying they weren't built , just not sold through the dealer . It was like buying it from an independent speed shop ( not too sure a chevrolet warentees went with them ) . As I recall the nikky car wasn't sold through the dealership either ... Those POA valves don't really work well with R134a . I wonder why they switched the system over ?? They have a POA valve eliminater kit that switches it to a cycling system .

7. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    It appears from the article that Baldwin closing the dealership doors and converting to a strictly performance operation in 1972 probably had more to with obtaining vehicles from other dealerships than anything. And since the Nickey one WAS sold new from the dealership (according to the article) in very late November of 1973 and converted, there were obviously still dealerships removing smog items either before or immediately after purchase. Besides, I am assuming that is why the selling dealership made the original purchaser of my car register it before doing any performance upgrades. I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve what the original purchaser of this car said that he had done to it. When the dealer installed the items compared to the registration of the car is irrelevant to me. Maybe I'm just not skeptical enough :)

8. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    And I'm not certain why they converted the AC the way that they did. It was done prior to my purchase. I can tell you from my experience in Sunday that it works well! I'll check into the other method though if I run into any issues. I looked up the eliminator kit that you were talking about in case I need it.

9. 1973dualcamaros

1973dualcamaros New Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Indy
    Judd real nice camaro . So Can someone let me know what the true wheel color is for my 1973 camaro ? And where I can buy it......Thanks

10. 3504SPD

3504SPD Veteran Member

Nice original Z. Have fun.