Finally found a 1973 Z/28 RS-LT with Air Conditioning

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Judd McPherson, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    After two long years of searching, I finally found an amazing 1973 Z/28 RS-LT with factory A/C. The original owner bought it with every available option except the vinyl top (power windows were late availability). The dealer installed dual-point ignition, an Edelbrock intake, Holley carburetor and a local muffler shop installed Hooker headers. It was a second vehicle for him, so he only put 13,000 miles on it between 73-82. The guy that I bought it from was searching for a Corvette in 1982 when he stumbled across an ad in the Wheeler Dealer magazine for this car. He fell in love with it and took it home. It was also a second car for him, and like the first owner would only drive it in sunny weather. He put the other 48,000 miles on it between 1982 and when I purchased it in January of this year.

I was very skeptical when he told me that car had never been driven in the rain by either owner, until I looked under the hood and read the original paper oil change sticker from the selling dealer on the radiator support from 1973. Any rain under the hood would have destroyed that sticker. The car was maintained by the same shop for the past 33 years. It has received hoses, belts and other general maintenance items, but it was never altered beyond the original dealer-installed components. It still has the entire original interior down to the floor mats. The carburetor, ignition and headers were replaced in 2008 instead of restoring the old ones, and the car was repainted in a base/clear version of the dark red metallic. The owner hated to repaint it, but the original paint was starting to checker badly from age. He turned it over to one of the best painters in his area for a year and told him to take his time and do it right! He did take the liberty of removing the door edge guards, leaving off the black on the lower rocker panels and badging it with Z/28 emblems. He said that he was tired of people saying to him over the years “Nice car, but too bad it isn’t a Z/28”. The original Type LT emblems remain with the car.

Everything else on the car remains original with the exception of maintenance items. I am considering installing Legendary seat upholstery and storing the original seat covers since the top of the back seat is starting to split from age. I don’t want to take a chance of the front seats starting to split. Otherwise, I plan on enjoying it on sunny days like the owners before me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    Here is the dealer stock sheet and the owner's manual with the salesman in 1973, Tom Walter's business card attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    wow , did u buy it from peter klute ?

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    what is its story ?

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    oh , BTW all the Z28 emblems are wrong .. the Type LT as its own model over rode all Z28 and RS emblems and the black paint below the Type LT molding is missing

6. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    TwoZs - read the writeup. Emblems were changed when it was painted and black was left off of the rocker panels.

7. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    Ideally, he would have left the original paint and LT emblems, but it was BY FAR the nicest one that I found over the two years that I looked! I say that without seeing how bad the checking was in the paint. The guy was absolutely OCD about caring for the car. He said that he just couldn't take the paint checking anymore :) He was nice enough to keep the emblems with the car:

[​IMG]

8. THNDER

THNDER Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 18, 2000
    O'fallon, Mo
    Very nice car Judd!

9. Judd McPherson

Judd McPherson Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Joplin, MO
    Thanks, Mike! The weather was finally nice enough to enjoy it today! Like I said, please let me know if you are ever on this side of the state. I'll do the same. I would love to get together.

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    so he welded the extra holes shut ??