Fiberglass Hood: Worth the Hassle?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by sandiego74, Nov 25, 2017.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    I see you did not get a reply to your #2 question, I was looking forward if anyone was going to chime in on any actual A-B-A testing on this very issue.

My current car has the original steel hood with a homemade 3.5 inch cowl that's fully functional.

I wonder the same thing sandiego74, . So, next season I plan on testing at an autocross with and W/O the hood on to see what the results are.
    I am curious to see what a 70lbs reduction does to the times (drag & autocross)

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Does SCCA alloy running without the hood? If so, that would certainly be the way to do it! Good luck!

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Mine is a VFN. Never tried unlimited. An old acquaintance is getting a business started in FL doing fiberglass body parts, I'm going to have him do some parts for me and see how they turn out.

4. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Let me know if he does good work. I may have to replace my factory hood. FL rust has gotten to it.

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    He just moved down there from NJ, supposed to be bringing up some mustang stuff for some friends' cars soon and I'm gonna see how the first run stuff looks.

6. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone else vote against Unlimited?

I recall seeing some older threads stating Unlimited had gone through some sort of change for the better. Not sure if that was their products, management, or both.

7. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    Many years ago we did it to my sons 79 Z-28 stock hood. Didn't weigh it but I'd guess it weighed half afterward. Also removed the hinge springs so additional weight saving there. The hood is really flimsy once the center structure is out. It was only like that for a short time and then he went to a complete fiberglass front end which reduced weight a LOT.

8. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for chiming in. I was thinking and looking at the steel hood, and I figured removing the inner structure would make it way too flimsy, and honestly be too much work considering the outcome and the price of a fiberglass hood.

9. KCardAZ_71RS

KCardAZ_71RS Veteran Member

May 20, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey Sandiego74, I just gutted an 80 hood for my hobby stock camaro. There are MANY spot welds around the front and sides. Then you have to cut the back along the edge where it's folded over. There are no spot welds on the inside but the factory used some sort of glue to help the two pieces stay together. You have to just force the two pieces apart. I didn't try heat but would prob help. Then you have to clean up all the rough edges. Works great for what I am doing but I wouldn't do this to my 71RS. The hood is very flimsy and just not going to work for a nice looking street car. I think I would keep two hoods. Steel unmolested for most of the time and a fiberglass for track days. You could weld in some nuts on four corners and screw in 4 pins easily when going with the glass hood. (Pull the hinges too of course) A little bit of work but I'm used to being my own crew chief and turning wrenches just part of the deal. Please post pics of the glass hood you choose and let us know how it fits.

10. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I ended up going with the Unlimited hood, mainly because the shipping would've cost me double any where else. Unlimited is only a 2 hour drive from me, so I figured that would be best. Should be getting it soon. I'll report on the fit and finish as soon as possible.