Fiberglass Hood: Worth the Hassle?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by sandiego74, Nov 25, 2017.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Apologies for another fiberglass hood thread, but I've got some questions that I don't think have been answered yet.

I've been wanting to do some weight savings on my car, and it seems the hood is an obvious part to change, but not an easy one. I've read a lot on here about hoods flying off at speed and having to work on them out-of-the-box in order to get them to fit. So I've got a few questions that may clarify my concerns. I plan on autocrossing this car, and possible track days in the future.

1.) As the title states, is it worth the hassle (fitting, securing it, etc.) to use a fiberglass hood?

2.) I see that you can lose twice the weight if you switch to a full pin-on and remove the hood hinges/springs (saving 60 lbs vs 30 lbs, roughly), but is it worth it? Would I have to put pins all around the hood and make it look bad? Would I be able to remove the hood myself (I'm fairly strong), or would I always need a second person?

3.) Would it be worth the extra money to buy a Harwood hood in-person from Classic Industries since I am close by instead of paying shipping fees and having to worry about the hood getting damaged during shipping?

I'd like to go back to the original flat hood look, as I think the cowl induction really doesn't look good on most of our cars. Although, I'm curious to see if anyone has Glasstek's small cowl induction hood, as the rounded design is much better suited to the shape of our cars.

Also, how difficult would it be to add some heat extractors onto the hood, like Brian Hobaugh's Camaro?

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There are different quality and weights of hood. I have a Glastek 6" cowl hood .on my 1979 Z-28 Camaro My car has a Weiand 142 mini blower.Its a good quality bolt on hood.And I use the stock latch and hinges.You have to use their springs. I have seen Harwood glass hoods is on par with them I have also had an Unlimited L-88 hood .It was lighter and you had to use hood pins. There are some who will make custom hoods as well. And then there are the steel 2" cowll hoods as well.And you were thinking about putting heat extractors .Look up the 1979 Hot Rod Magazine Sept cover cars. I looks like is has 1979 Z-28 fender extractors molded into the hood .And if you want to go real radical look at the Roadsters Shop "Rampage" race car. Or make one up yourself. 130044932860518017_26257430996_o (1).jpg

3. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'd love to do something Rampage. Definitely one of my favorite 2nd Gen builds. Also thought about using the Z28 fender heat extractors on the hood.

Really just trying to decide if the weight difference between a flat steel hood and a bolt-on flat fiberglass hood is really worth it.

4. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
  5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I have a pin on style hood on my 73. I have a bad back, but no problem lifting it by myself. Biggest Bitch is finding a place to put it after it's off.

6. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the info. How do you have it pinned on?

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Currently it is with 4 old school style pins, but I'm switching to dzus fasteners after the car is sorted out and I don't have to remove it often. There are some really nice hood pin options out there now, but some are pricey. I like the aerocatch ones, if I wasn't going to dzus I would use them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aec-120-2000

The quik latch ones are nice too.

http://www.quik-latch.com

8. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Ah yeah, those are both pretty nice looking.

Here's another idea: deskinned stock hood? Saw another thread that mentioned a deskinned stock hood weighing just under 30 pounds. Anyone have information on this?

9. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's another light weight hood from Karbon Custom that's a real nice piece, not cheap I wouldn't think but then nothing is for these cars, sure like it though!

HPIM0676.JPG

10. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    That's my favorite hood, too, actually. Just can't imagine spending that much for one.