fiberglass dash vs repro dash

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by mrluckies, Sep 22, 2017.

1. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've got a 1970 RS that I'm working on. It's not all original and I don't care about keeping it looking stock.

I have the interior out now while I'm painting the car. I knew the dash pad needed to be replaced, but when I took the dash out of the car, I noticed there's a bunch of other plastic pieces in the main structure that are cracked or broken or could use paint/dye to look better.

I've read a lot on hear about the new NPD reproduction dash pads and was planning on buying one. Then on one of the posts, someone had mentioned a full fiberglass dash, I think from VFN fiberglass?

Anyway, my question is, what are everyone's opinion on getting rid of the stock dash and installing the fiberglass dash vs buying a new dash pad and other plastic pieces to fix the original? Just the repop dash pad is about $100 more than the entire fiberglass dash, let alone the little other pieces I'd need to fix mine, so cost wise it makes sense. The downside of the fiberglass dash is that it isn't a bolt in part and will need a bunch of fabrication.

I'm not too worried about fabricating brackets to hold it. I can weld, so I think i'll be alright. How much work is involved to get the fiberglass dash to mount in the car?

Also, I want to install a gauge cluster. Not sure if i'll use aftermarket gauges or try to reuse the stock gauge setup.

I definitely also want to install the Glove Box as I like the storage. Can I just cut the opening out and make a mount to hold the dash box in there and bolt the stock glove box door on? I realize i'll have to make a flange for it to close against.

I'd also like to install the a/c vents and controls and possibly the ash tray.

All that being said, does it make sense to try the fiberglass dash?

My original dash would need to be painted or dyed to make look good again and I'd need a couple parts either plastic welded or replaced to look ok (not great, but ok).

I'm interested to hear opinions.

thx

2. Thomasg

Thomasg New Member

Sep 30, 2017
    I’m curious about this as well seeing as my lower dash is pretty chewed up. Doesn’t seem like there is much out there on it but if you end up going through with the fiberglass dash, I would appreciate some pictures and a review!

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Me to like to hear more,,,,back to top for you

4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I'm considering a 'glas dash for my '70 RS as well. It is a back half street/race car that is far from stock, so originality is of no concern. The ash tray, heater controls, vents, etc. do not matter.
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has used one as well.

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Add another one interested. Back half race car here too, want to get rid of the aluminum panel that currently lives there. Maybe we can get a group buy started and save a few dollars.