fender flares

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by loyal guardian, Sep 27, 2016.

1. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    not for the camaro, but are there any good write-ups on how to do decent fender flares? im going to swap out my bronco 2 axles for full size bronco axles and need to plan on widening the flares so it looks somewhat symetrical. i know a lot of guys do it for their camaro's so im coming here to ask first.

2. loyal guardian

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    thoughts on help with this?

3. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    138.JPG

Above is a picture from back in the day when I couldn't afford replacement quarters and fenders for the Camaro, or proper wheel backspace (lol). I used this approach on the rear quarters to build a flare with a built in mudflap:

Get some 3/16" or 1/4" steel rods long enough for the entire flare. Mig weld one end to the bottom of the panel and then flare the rod out and shape it to where you want the flare to be. Work through to the other end and then weld that to the panel. Then cut sheet metal to go from the body to the edge of the rods. Weld the entire seam working everything to the proper shape and curve as you go. When done, hammer and dolly as flat as you can and then use filler to bring the shape smooth. Keep filler on the light side....If it has to be too thick to get it smooth, then hammer and dolly some more. It takes some patience, but it isn't all that difficult if you can weld and have a few basic body tools. Smoothing the whole thing with filler is an art and is the harder part.

I did that on my first Camaro. Painted it Metallic Red with Candy Apple Red highlights and Imron clear. The flares were still solid when I sold the car 10 years later.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Considering it is a 4x4, there's plenty of plastic or fiberglass flares available from the aftermarket. Flaring out the steel fenders via metalwork, only to likely bash them up later while wheelin' sounds like a waste of time and labor.

[​IMG]

5. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Check out the metal or tube flares on 4wd for jeeps etc....these are pretty easily duplicated.

6. loyal guardian

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    love the old timey picture!!!! but i found out recently that the previous owner traded the bronco 2 to me because his dad was on 3 of 4 stage of cancer, he got better though and last xray had no cancer (doesnt mean its not in his blood just no visible signs). so with that info dad wants to get the bronco back. ive made payments to get a full aize to swap parts and am planning now to get that running

7. loyal guardian

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    20160610_184014.jpg this is what the B2 looks like. so ima try to make the full size look simular as i like its look