Feedback on Reznor/Hot Dawg/Mr Heater Big Maxx Heaters

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Teamchevy, Oct 3, 2010.

Which of the three heaters do you have?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2010.
  1. Reznor

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Hot Dawg

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Mr. Heater Big Maxx

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Hi everyone. I building a 24' x 34' x 10' high garage, 2"x4" walls insulated, same with the ceiling. I've been looking at these three manufactured units:

Reznor
    Hot Dawg
    Mr Heater Big Maxx

I looking to get a 45000 BTU unit. I looking for pros and cons for each. Do you have one? What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Have you had problems with it? In the winter, was it what you thought it would be? Do you have it on a thermostat? Do you set back the temp when you're not using it?

Thanks,

Dave
    :bowtie:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
  3. Kirk

Kirk Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
    Hi Dave - if you haven't looked over at www.garagejournal.com, you might want to. It's a great site like nastyz28.com, with a section dedicated to heating questions - and your comparison question comes up quite a bit.

Having said that, I built a 24x22 garage with 12 foot ceiling, 2x6 construction, fully insulated. I went with the Mr. Heater unit (45k btu) after looking at all three products you listed. I installed it myself (other than running the gas line). It works great. I have it on a thermostat and generally keep my garage at around 50 degrees all the time during the winter, but bump it up depending on the work I want to do. Overall, I love the heater and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Pros - the unit is relatively inexpensive (and was being carried by Princess Auto at one point), extremely easy to install, replacement parts are relatively cheap, tech support from Mr. Heater has been excellent the few times I needed them.

Cons - I intially had trouble with the unit's transformer and control panel, but turns out that was partially my fault. Mr. Heater units have had a bad rap in the past due to issues with their control panel - my understanding is this problem was solved when they added a replaceable fuse to the control panel. After upgrading my panel to one with a fuse I've had zero issues. Also, having had to replace the transformer, it is located in a bad location - you literally need to have double-jointed wrists to get at it. I subsequently relocated the transformer to the opposite side of the access panel in case I ever had to replace it again.

Let me know if you want any more info.

4. automd73

automd73 Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Chicago,IL
    I went with the Modine Hot dawg unit. My garage is 26X24 10 foot ceilings..

Heats the garage great. I've had it 3 years now and no problems.

5. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Hey Kirk..thanks for the comments. I've been surfing over there at the Garage Journal asking the same poll. Sounds like it's been working well for you. How's the feet and lower legs in the winter??

Dave

6. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thanks! Great to know!

Dave

7. Kirk

Kirk Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
    Dave - no chilly toes so far, but I also have a large overhead fan from Home Depot that I keep running 24/7 on low speed to help circulate the air. I think that makes a huge difference, especially with the high ceiling.

8. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Decision Made!! The unit I bought was......

The Mr. Heater Big Maxx 45K BTU!

All things considered, the eventual winner was the Mr Heater 45K unit. It was on sale @ the TSC stores for $429.99 CAD, regular $659.99. I also bought the 4" horizontal vent kit and the natural gas conversion kit as well. Hopefully will have it installed in the next few weeks. The outside of the garage is well on it's way to being completed and I'm planning on doing drywall in November with a nephew helping.

Will update later. :)

Dave

PS: I hear the heaters are on sale again starting Friday Oct 15th for a week at TSC again!