Father&Son's 80Z28 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by BP80Z28, Apr 12, 2009.

1. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the lousy pic's. But this is the best I can get it.

2. BP80Z28

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    My son came over and we tried to put the hood on. Come to find out the subframe is off. The alignment holes on the subframe were off about a 1/4 inch. We got those lined up.Now I think everything is out of wack. I don't know what to do. Do I take everything apart and start over or what? What measurements do I take to make sure everything is square. I need Help!!

3. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wish I could be more help Bob. Hopefully someone will chime in that can give you some advice!

4. BP80Z28

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Well feeling a little better about this.Dummy me had the car on jack stands.Major NoNo lining up panels.With a little more tweaking Ill be there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    looking good. Can you take a picture of how your a pillars align with your doors? Im having issues with mine. You gaps look great!

6. BP80Z28

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Thanks, I will but I have to play with those a little and I have to adjust the fenders the bolt behind the door that mount has to come down a little.

7. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's great Bob! New you'd figure it out!

8. BP80Z28

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Thanks!! Im getting there.

9. applechevy

applechevy Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Perry, Ohio
    father n son project

god bless ya i hope it works out to the of build im sure it will. maybe it would of been diferent for me if my son wasnt always in another state always being in coast guard but proud of him. but once in a blue moon we would work on it . but its come a long way almost ready to paint . 79 z28 gonna be black n candy red. good luck

10. BP80Z28

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Well we live and learn at this.

Well I haven't posted in a while on progress because I screwed up the paint!!I have a hard time asking for help when iI screw up. Over all the paint came out pretty good but I learned that I didn't put enough clear on to cut and buff I burned through in many spots. And painting it in pieces was a mistake for me. Everything lined up before I took it apart again for paint but not after when trying to reassemble. A lot of chips and scratches doing this buy myself. Now that's its back together I have to repaint. Im going to reshoot the whole thing together this time.The question I have is after I fix the chips what grit should I use to re base and clear.Would a gray scuff pad or 400 wet do it. I will drive this someday!!!