Fan Belt Noise

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by AJ81Z28, Sep 11, 2017.

1. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    Always use a good quality belt too!Dayco and goodyear are all i use.The cheap store brands tend to stretch over time.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's a fact. Belts can stretch more than we think before breaking.
    Just had to replace the H2O belt today on a bulldozer that they kept cranking on the adjustment for years.
    It was brittle as frick, too loose, too hard and wasn't spinning the pulley enough to cool.
    I was shocked it didn't break, the new one was substantially smaller, and the adjustment was back in the middle of the range.

3. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Mechanical fans put a lot of strain on the belt. Do you have a single groove or double groove water pump and power steering pump pullies? Technically I think the dual pulley setup is for cars with a/c but if you have a fan with a lot of drag such as a large flex fan or heavy duty clutch fan you might need the dual pulley setup.

4. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
  5. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Just to help anyone else. The last few things I did was I switched out the pulley on the alternator which helped but not much better.

Then I switched to a clutch fan from the old heavy duty fan (it's a 67 block and I'd always just used that fan) which really seemed to help. It only squealed at initial start up if it had been turned off after racing around. Normal driving didn't bother it.

However, I decided to install an electric fan which made the squealing worse. Not sure what was going on. I think it was the heating and cooling of the belt since the fan would run after the engine turns off.

I think I might have finally fixed it though. I shimmed the pulley on the alternator with 5/8 inch washers to line it up one last time. It appears to be fixed. Let's hope...

And thank you for all the replies and suggestions.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    The electric fans puts a little bit of extra load on the alternator. I ONLY use Dayco Top Cog belts on my Camaro. It had a belt squealing issue once upon a time and the Top Cog belt is the only one I found that wouldn't make noise.

7. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    It has been a couple weeks now. Everything seems to be going good. Thanks again for all the replies.