Fan Belt Noise

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by AJ81Z28, Sep 11, 2017.

1. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I have shimmed and done every last thing I can think of including buying an Alan Grove alternator bracket to try and quiet this down.

I've owned this engine for 27 years and have never had this problem. It did sit for 8 years though. Anyways, engine works great. No complaints. Just this stupid fan belt. Which has been driving me nuts since I got the car going again in January. It did not do it for the first week or two, but since January now I've been thru 5 alternators at Autozone trying to figure this out. And used lots of belt dressing mixed in with lots of different belts. And last night I found a different pulley to try out.

I did notice something last night though. I put the harmonic balancer on again making sure everything was lined up from there. I then put both belts back on (power steering and the alt/water pump belt) but I left the fan and the fan shroud off so I could see better. No squealing what so ever. The water pump seemed to make a winding noise though. Not very loud. Just enough that I noticed it. But once I put the fan back on that pulley the squealing started right up again.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds like a bushing/bearing in the water pump. Fan is putting a load on it, causing the noise.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Could also be clutch fan issue if you are running one.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    If clutch fan is bad, there's usually fluid leaking around the shaft. You can also grab the top blade (engine off) and see if it moves back and forth. There should be no movement or wobble in the fan.

5. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Ok I will try out a new water pump. It doesn't have a clutch fan. Thank you for the suggestions. I will let you guys know how it went. Hopefully this fixes it.

6. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    OP you just described EXACTLY what I just went thru. CorkeyE is spot on with his diagnosis, changing water pump fixed my issue.

7. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Ok cool. Hopefully this fixes it. Its making me crazy.

8. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I put on the water pump. Started it up and it was squealing. Shimmed it again and it stopped squealing. Drove it for a while. Then after about a half hour it started squealing slightly. The belt seems more loose than before so that might be the problem. But I don't have to strangle the shit out of the steering pump when I tighten its belt. It just seems noisier than it was twenty years ago when I drove it all the time. I also have a 78 bronco that doesn't make this much pulley noise and the belts don't have to be super tight.

This is driving me crazy.

Does anyone know how many shims (washers) you're supposed to use with the Alan Grove alternator bracket cause it doesn't line up straight out of the box.

Any help would be awesome.

9. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I meant it just seems noisier in general regardless of the squealing.

10. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a truck sit for a couple of years with a bad trans.
    When I put it back on the road the belt squealed.
    New water pump didn't help, so I put some emory cloth on a piece of wood and polished the pulleys.
    That was it, the rusty pulley squealed, when I cleaned up the right one it stopped???