Factory ratchet shifter?.?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by RattyRedZ, Oct 15, 2016.

1. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    If they havent been used properly they will stick, take it out and soak it with WD40 or similiar penetrant. The bottom of a ratchet shifter looks like this, you can see the sideways spring at the top, thats brings it back into place, The normal shifters do not have that spring.

DSCN3708.JPG

2. daustin

daustin Veteran Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Woodstock, GA
    Hi Wayne,

Those old H/O's and GTO's are expensive things. I had mine documented by PHS a few years ago. I bought it in '75 as a used car from the 2nd owner, traded it for a '70 SS 396 Chevelle in 1979. Found the same car (same vin) in a pasture about 1996, bought it back and have been slowly rebuilding it.

Don

3. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    I got a nice one I think, it may have sold in Dayton I can't remember, they go for $100, fun to have, next time in your car, if it has an auto, look at the black plastic strip, the hole is oblong, it's for this shifter. I think they are all this way. Next one you see at the swap, look inside, if there's a spring about 1" or so long , it a ws6

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  4. Burd

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    More parts of the ws6 pkg is the faster gearbox and the white poly bushings on the sway bar link. I'm putting those on my 78, the Flint whse had 80 sets in stock when we bought some. Another pc is the frame stiffener to the a arm connection, these may fit a Camaro, starting in 1978 the frames were threaded for the one end of the brace I heard. I found a set to put on my 78. I'll post pics of both.

5. Burd

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    image.jpg Here's the GM Bushings and the ws6 bars,