Factory Gauge Harness Connector

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Orange71, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chevy70

Chevy70 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2014
    WA
    Anyone

2. Jimmy W

Jimmy W New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Calgary, Alberta
    Not sure if this is the place to ask or if I should ask in a new post but here goes. I am also switching from the idiot light dash to factory guages. Can the pins/contacts in the plug be pulled out and rearranged or do I have to cut and solder. If the pins can be pulled any info would help, I dont want to wreck it.

3. Jimmy W

Jimmy W New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Calgary, Alberta
    Disregard my previous question, now that I'm not trying to read this thread on my phone I found the answer in post #52. Thanks

4. xlargest

xlargest Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2016
    las vegas, nv
    I have this connector but I have a 72 camaro with gauges, these are colored differently...By the way, my instrument cluster has never worked but that is a different story and or topic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
  6. Bopfly

Bopfly Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Griffin, Ga
    So, I didn't want to start a new thread and haven't had the time to read this entire thread so please excuse me if my answer is somewhere in here.

I just bought myself a Christmas present which consists of a new gauge cluster from Dakota Digital. This will be going in my '80 Z28. I was reading through the install instructions to determine if this will be something I can do myself and I've been going back and forth on this. In looking at the diagram above for "Cluster with Gauges" is it safe to assume that this is the connector that I have and can I simply cut the connector off and then using that diagram just strip the wires and install them into my DD box? I know that the speed-o and temp sensor have their own wiring but I'm really looking for any advise or recommendations on the install. Is there a harness that I can buy that would just plug in to the existing connector so that I don't have to cut it off?

Any help and recommendations are appreciated.

7. Bopfly

Bopfly Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Griffin, Ga
    Just an update - I took a look at my connector and the wires are not the same colors as the diagram shown in the above post. I can post a pic if needed. Also the gauges are the VHX Analog gauges.

8. 79zron

79zron Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2000
    perryopolis pa usa
  9. Bopfly

Bopfly Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Griffin, Ga
    My apology for the delay. Here is a pic of my connector. It's not the best but hopefully it will give you a good idea of what I'm dealing with. Unfortunately I fell ill during the holidays and have not had the time to work on the gauges but I hope to get back out there soon.
    [​IMG]

10. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id