Factory Gauge Harness Connector

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Orange71, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Bob, Simple answer - yes it just hangs there. All cars rolled down the assembly line got a standard harness. When options were added, like your A/C, an A/C harness was added with it. All unused wiring/plugs were moved up & out of the way.
    BTW, I got your email...you should post those pics!! Keep up the good work!

2. 75 TYPE LT

75 TYPE LT Veteran Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Carroll County VA
    First off I would like to say that this is an amazing thread, its already helped me a ton. I do have a question though. I am installing the summit universal wiring harness and I've gotten to my gauges and instrument panels. I am having a hard time figuring out how to wire my headlight switch properly, the wires on my harness and the wires on my switch plug don't match in color so I dont know what wires go where.

If anybody could possibly identify the wires on the back of the plug and what purpose each serves that would be wonderful!

[​IMG]

3. blackrat

blackrat New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    bay area, ca
    going to post this in here to avoid starting a new thread. What wiring goes to the center console? Mine is strewn around and half cut but I believe I see the remnants of the white/orange center console light which taps off the dome light but that's it. However, while buying other stuff I stumbled across this.

[​IMG]
    http://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1972_Console_Harness_p/wir-239.htm

There's a crapload of things in that pic that I don't see in my mess of wires at the moment. does any of that connect to the horseshoe shifter or something?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. 70 RS

70 RS Veteran Member

May 27, 2012
    Laveen, AZ
    Where does the gear indicator wire connect to? I have been told the steering collum? My car is a floor shift, not sure how a manual cable will work from 3 feet away with no connection? Any help or pucs? Thanks

5. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Yes the steering column, the back drive linkage rotates the tube around the steering shaft seen here...

[​IMG]

maybe someone here can point out where in this pic...
    [​IMG]

6. siberbunak

siberbunak Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Istanbul TÜRKİYE
    The first pic on the above post explains how

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. Purebreed1

Purebreed1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Crystal lake Illinois
    Hooked up my gauges for the first time and am having a few issues. My temp sending unit harness has two wires. One is a plastic connector and the other is what appears to be a ground. Do I need to ground this?

When lights are on I am only getting the background lights on the left side of the cluster. Bulbs are good and I am using a new PCB. Any thoughts.

Tachometer works.

Gas gauge shows about 3/4 full. Should go back to empty when the car is off or should it stay at its mark.

Will try and hook up clock tonight.

Anyone have a picture of the oil pressure connector under hood. Mine appears to be stock with a slit harness. My sending unit looks to have a threaded end. Not going to work.

8. Chevy70

Chevy70 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2014
    WA
    Factory radio taped to the clock harness. Why? And how?

9. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Taped? Maybe you meant tapped into... Either way it would be a shared ground (black wire) or power for the lights (gray wire).

10. Chevy70

Chevy70 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2014
    WA

Typo yes tapped... As per the instructions... Confused on what to do