f body oil pan clearance

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by greencamaro1981, Dec 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM.

1. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    im in the process of doing my 5.3 swap i was wondering how many of you had to notch the crossmember for clearance on the pan? if you did do you have pictures and or measurements?

2. AlexSpinn

AlexSpinn New Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I replied to your comment on my thread, just wanted to make sure you saw it.

3. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2003
    now in VA
    My 5.3, using the f body pan and 1" setback carshop plates, fits great. If notching is required, something is wrong. from memory, believe I have at least an 1" of clearance to the crossmember. Someone resurrected a post of mine on the batwing pan, many comments in there to go with the f body pan.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    The F-body pan will require no mods. If you have issues with it, something else is wrong (like motor mounts).

AlexSpinn likes this.
  5. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    my car is a franken car that was wrecked hard a few times so should and do are a little different, I have already done a tk5 swap and that swap actually pushed the engine forward about 1 inch (i went from a v6 3 speed to 350 5spd) all at once and i got everything in and happy, mainly matching shifter location and correct drive shaft length. i will be reusing my 5 speed in its current location so i wont have to re invent my console and driveshaft, the mockup motor i have fits with a truck pan but 3 inches of over hang on the sump, i got an f body set up from the store for 175$ i can mount the engine a little higher than most as I have a 4 inch cowl hood, im not using the set back plate mounts im just fabbing up ones that fit when i get the set up in and happy, I have fully welded the sub frame out and i have the engine ready to drop in, I was hoping someone has seen it before, as in most of the 1st gens have to notch frame for fitment.