Expansion Tank for Rear Axle

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by badazz81z28, Nov 23, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Anyone run one on their sec gen? Having puked oil the last time out, probably a good idea

2. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    No.
    I pulled out the factory breather than tapped the hole for a pipe nipple. I took a hose with a cheap metal fuel filter on the end of it and ran it up to the trunk floor. No further issues. I have been on track for 40 minutes at the Vegas outside road course on a 95 degree day with no puking.

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I've been wanting to add one of the coolers like they have on the new Shelby mustangs to something. Its an even nicer setup than a catch can.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

5th and 6th gens run diff coolers

5. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't think I need a cooler. I just need somewhere other then the bottom of the car and road to go when the fluid is expanding when I'm pushing it hard.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    First I would use synthetic fluid. It runs cooler and expands less with heat so it alone might take care of your problem. Next, you can use the 4wd trick. Instead of putting the breather in the differential, put a length of rubber hose in the differential and extend it up higher on the car somewhere. At the other end of the hose, put the breather. The extra length of hose provides a small area for fluid to be stored if pushed out of the differential.

7. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    That's what I would do...

8. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Lol, you know me better then that, I run Motul Synthetic in the rearend. I don't run cheap stuff in my Camaro. I can try a longer hose and see, it i my when I run it really hard on the road course

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017