Exhaust System

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Lancaster, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Lancaster

Lancaster Veteran Member

@ dailycruiser81
    Well, I discussed a little bit about the exhaust system. I like the Magnaflow, but ... the guys from
    classic industries told me that MF 15895 doesn´t fit the 1980 Camaro at all anis for the 1967-69
    ONLY ... :( ... what a pitty.... eee ... is that possible that the undercarriages of 1st and 2nd generation
    are so different ?
    It seems to be that MF 16828 will be the solution. The Pypes system exist too ... but the difference
    in the prices on our market is horrible.
    Any other ideas ?

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

tn_MiscNewPics 019.jpg tn_MiscNewPics 020.jpg tn_MiscNewPics 022.jpg I bought the Magnaflow 15895 for my 69' Camaro COPO recreation/clone. The car has long
    tube Hooker Headers. I can tell that the system did not work correctly out of the box.
    Magnaflow has too much welded together around front of their X-pipe NOT allowing you
    to make the necessary rotation adjustments. Magnaflow customer service sent me a new
    unwelded X-pipe so I could wind up with what is pictured.

I think MAGNAFLOW HAD a Tranverse Muffler System at one time (??) for 1970-81 Camaros
    but evidently dropped the part # ?????

tn_MiscNewPics 020.jpg tn_MiscNewPics 022.jpg

3. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    The 15895 Magnaflow exhaust system with transverse muffler shows up on Summit for $750.79. Looks like you will need the down pipes for manifolds, but should work with long tube headers.

John

4. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

May 19, 2013
    ft lauderdale

5. dailycruiser81

May 19, 2013
    ft lauderdale
    I had dual magnaflows and loved them. When I ordered them I called magnaflow directly to tell them what I was looking for. No drone and great sound out the back. When I went from a 300 hp motor to a 430 hp the magnaflow were a lot louder inside the car that was the only reason for changing them. How much hp are you running with.

6. Lancaster

Lancaster Veteran Member

It is the genuine 305 CUI ( 5.0 Ltr.) engine like it was mounted in the factory after the second oil crisis; it´s a
    Berlinetta version. It should be roundabout 160 PS ( hp).
    Yes, I know ... you will laugh ... in comparison with yours it´s nothing :D:);)

7. Lancaster

Lancaster Veteran Member

@CamarosRus

Thanks for the pictures Chuck. It´s really Illuminating.

@John 79ZED

Down pipes was exactly what I thought about. Which system do you have in your car ?

8. Lancaster

Lancaster Veteran Member

I think that I slowly hopping mad :mad::confused: !!!
    When I´m looking to the pictures of " Sbca96 " how he mounted the MF 16828, I see the
    same mounting points in the same places like in mine 1980 and his is a 1978.
    On the other hand, the guys from Classic Industries telling me that 16828 won´t fit
    the 1980 ... o_O .. ergh ... what ? ... Tactics ? Or what ? ... don´t understand ... can anybody explain ?

9. dailycruiser81

May 19, 2013
    ft lauderdale
    I would call magnaflow.

10. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    I doubt that any vendor will tell you that their non-catalytic system fits a post 1975 car. Anything that fits 70-74 will fit 75-81.