Exhaust Rattle on Leaf Springs?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Blk+Orange79Z28, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Blk+Orange79Z28

Blk+Orange79Z28 Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Hi again everyone. Been a boring winter not much to do. Got a quick question for you maybe someone has some experience with this. I got my new exhaust system installed last summer on my 79 Z28 (factory style exhaust) and I would notice a rattling noice from the back of the car when it was in idle or low rev's (less than 1,000 RPM's) and i went back to listen and it was the exhaust rattling/rubbing on the leaf springs. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this? I tried some fiberglass wrap on it with those high temp zip ties but it always unraveled and fell off. Im thinking i need some sort of high temp rubber or something to go around the exhaust and sty between the leaf spring and the exhaust pipe. It does it on both sides. Any ideas would be awesome!

Thanks,
    Cody

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    There is a bracket that connects to the pipe with a U type exhaust clamp. It is adjustable some what. Whoever installed your exhaust might or might not of use it.

3. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Exhaust should not be touching.

4. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I would see if any hangers could be adjusted or possibly a pipe bent or flattened in area's to get the needed clearance.

I know on my 68 Nova, the new exhaust system I'm getting will have the end portion of the tailpipe flattened to fit between the leaf spring and the bottom edge of the quarter panel just like how it was originally. Luckily the car still had the original tailpipe on it for reference and the company bending up the new system has the original blueprints to have the new exhaust system exactly like the original one.

The original tailpipe flattened for clearance (granted the pipes started as 2" and then flattened to 1.5" meaning this only gained a 1/4" on each side but I guess it's what was needed):

[​IMG]
    o
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    You probably have a loose bracket.

6. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Take it back to who installed it and tell them to do it right this time! There are brackets to prevent this.

7. Blk+Orange79Z28

Blk+Orange79Z28 Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Ok sounds like I need to take it back to the guy. I had it done by the muffler doctor in Hopkins,mn. I’ll take it back this summer and have him fix it.

8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I agree. I would let them know asap so there are no questions.

9. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I would take it back all so. It probably will be a quick fix for them. Will save you a lot of time trying fix it your self.

10. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    IMG_0753.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0754.JPG Like others have said, it should not be near the leaf springs. Here are some shots of my original exhaust if that helps.