Exhaust manifolds

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by ncarcamguy, Feb 3, 2017.

1. ncarcamguy

ncarcamguy New Member

Jan 27, 2017
    Hi again Nasty world!!! Im working on a 1970 camaro and looking for some exhaust maifolds that flow. Did Chevy make a manifold that flowed more than others. I would like to stay " stock" looking if possible. The ram horns wont fit. Any ideas? Thanks

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Often wondered about that myself. Used to think those log type manifolds were probably a real good deal by the looks. Then got some actual info about how bad they really are. I'm no big fan of headers, but a fan of performance, so I guess we're stuck with them. Would like to find some shortie type header that uses the stock pipes, don't know of any.

3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

tom3, " shortie type header that uses the stock pipes"

Could you explain WHAT this means

Header = Aftermarket non Chevrolet HEADER
    Stock Pipes = Stock Exhaust Pipe, Stock Head Pipe (where it connects to stock manifold)

twozs likes this.
  4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Shorty headers are short pipes with no collector tube on the . HP gain is minimal compared to " long tube " headers .

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  5. ncarcamguy

ncarcamguy New Member

Jan 27, 2017
    I was thinking more along the lines of after market, cast iron,larger I.D. , but looking stock. I was told that circle track guys in some classes must use iron exhaust manifolds. Guess I ll keep looking.

6. shad_van

shad_van Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2012
    las vegas, NV
    supposedly, the Corvette exhaust manifolds were the better flowing ones. but they are the center dump ram horn style on a small block, so I doubt they will fit. for Big Blocks it was also the corvette header style exhaust manifold, but again they probably wont fit. I would look for a set of Factory 70-71 LT1 350 Camaro manifolds. as it was the highest powered original motor in second gen. followed by the 73-74 L82 manifolds. but neither will give you the performance of a good long tube header. I like the ceramic coted ones. I also use copper gaskets to prevent leaks. they seem to last longer then the crappy paper gaskets. also if you can compare brands, look for at the header flange where it bolts to the heads. the thicker the better, it prevents warping and helps the gaskets live longer. some of the more expensive headers are ground flat to make a better seal as well.

7. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Victoria, bc
    Might not work but it might be possible to port you stock manifolds.

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Check out Extrude Hone AFM.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Extrude hone helps, but just a little and if you go too far the manifolds will crack. Not much can be done here, within reason. Seems strange that by now with all of the 2nd gens and others (Chevelles, Novas, etc) out there that someone hasn't cast up a high flow iron manifold. I guess it is just too easy to go to headers.

10. ncarcamguy

ncarcamguy New Member

Jan 27, 2017
    Extrude hone.....WOW what a process. Thanks again. Still looking