Exhaust Manifold dressing/coating/paint recommendations

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Bamaro, May 2, 2017.

1. Bamaro

Bamaro Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Jacksonville, Md
    Whats the best product to freshen up the look of rusty exhaust manifolds. Something that can be done in place without removing them and looks 'natural'. Calyx seems to be popular but I have heard it is not very durable and needs to be re-applied often (also smells). Jet Hot, Hot Stuff, POR Exhaust Paint , something else, leave rusty?

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

You source out a vendor who can FLAME SPRAY Molten Aluminum on your
    Exhaust Manifolds after they sandblast them......The Flame Sprayed Aluminum
    coating prevents them from Rusting however doesnt look like Cast Iron.
    Then spray them with 1200 Degree VHT ...........Cast Iron Aeresol.

Next alternative is too investigate Hi Temp Powder Coat in Cast Iron Shade of
    Color.....

Any other paint coating you apply yourself is going to fail sooner than later....

You want CHEAP or You want GOOD ??????????

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Don't think that's going to happen.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Sorry I DID NOT READ your complete post about not removing from engine.....

In my opinion you have nothing to expect other than failure !!!!!!!!

5. southview

southview Veteran Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Viera, FL
    Eastwood sells a few manifold paints in pint cans. Wire brush the any heavy flaking rust off and apply paint with a brush. I used a foam brush. The stuff is awesome. I have been using it for years and have done numerous cars with the same pint.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There are the VHT brand of paints .

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I used Eastwood's brush on. Excellent product. You'll need a gasket for the pass side if you remove them.

8. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I tried the VHT stuff in orange, dont ask me why. I blasted the manifolds and painted them in a paint booth. Came out looking amazing. Too bad about 2 months later the orange was gone, leaving this nasty white look. Flash-forward a couple of years to when I sold the vehicle and they were white and rusty. Never again.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There is a color called caste blast as well.for exhaust manifolds and headers

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

the Eastwood stuff works good. I'd take them off so you can properly prep. with that stuff my main advice would be when you think you are done, add 3 more coats. I did a set of headers with that stuff, looked great, held up to a few years of use well. But one late winter day when the garage was cool but it was warm out when I opened the garage door i got crazy condensation and the headers flash rusted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]