exhaust coatings: Cerakote vs Jet Hot

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by need-for-speed, Nov 26, 2017.

1. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    I have decided to get my existing headers recoated (as opppsed to replacing with new stainless headers).

Cost: Cerakote cost is $305 and I can get them done locally.

Jet Hot is definitely more of a known quantity but shipping them will be a pain in the ass and costly. $350 plus shipping cost.

Does anyone here have experience with Cerakote Glacier Series coatings on exhaust parts?

2. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I haven't used it but Cerakote is highly recommended by Kevin Tetz. He knows a few guys that have had great success with it.

You might want to PM him thru Facebook if he doesn't reply here. He is always helpful.

3. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    Thanks David.

4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I just installed a set of new Hedman headers that I had Cerakote locally. I went with the black satin finish. So far they have not discolored or had any issues. I think I paid around 300. Not sure if it is the Glacier series...but I can tell you it was the air dry product. If you have ball and socket it takes twice as long... have to let it cure for 5 days, then slide the flange over and do the other end ...so it took over 2 weeks. At idle the temp is 380ish a couple of inches from the bend at port.

5. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    I was a part owner in Jet Hot until 2014 when I sold my interest so I know a fair amount about thermal coatings. I would stay away from any air cured coating, it's a crap shoot whether or not you will get it cured properly on the car. The humidity, the thickness of the coating, the temp and duration at that temp all have an impact on the adhesion of the coating. Oven cured coatings are at least cured at a consistent temp in a controlled environment. I'm not pushing or recommending one company over the other just oven cured vs air cured.

need-for-speed likes this.
  6. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    Thank you for the good info palm.

7. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    That's good to know. Thanks for posting.

8. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
  9. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    That's probably because it requires more investing in equipment, some of the ovens get pretty expensive. We used infrared ovens to do most headers, if they were an odd shape or for complete exhaust systems we used large walk-in batch ovens.

10. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    You can call cerakote and talk to the guys at the factory. They will tell you why they use the air cure for exhaust and motor parts and use the oven cured for guns. It needed to be slow cured but I can't remember why.
    You are correct. The air cured is very tricky and the company I used said they screwed a few up in the beginning. Cerakote...When done correctly... is awesome.