Erratic sometimes rear 1157 bulb

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Chuck71RS, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    What is consistent is the rear tail light (tall filament), + sides and license

What is erratic; brake, hazard, direction. Front hazard, direction and dash indicator work

The 1157
    • new
    • sockets clean
    • Correctly inserted: Pushes down further and turns farther then the opposite insertion
    Fiddling
    • turned the bulb in the sockets a few times
    • Swapped sides
    Grounding: All 8 bulbs (including the 2 sides) connect at different locations to the same ground wire. Since the 6 rear lights consistently turn on and off, the ground wire terminal is making good contact (but there could be wire problems between socket and connecting to the ground wire).

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Check that socket to ground wire first, bet you thats the problem

Cardinal likes this.
  3. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I had some similar issues on mine and it turned out to be corroded connections at the bulk head connector on the steering column. Once I cleaned that with some contact cleaner it all cleared up. Just a thought incase you don't find it elsewhere.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    The little disk in the socket that the wires attach to pulls away from the bulb contacts on my C-20. I have to get in there to mess with them occasionally. I jam the wires in as far as i can an tape the wires to the socket base. Too cheap to get new socket.

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Grounds! They are your friend when they're solid, clean, and work. They are your enemy when they aren't!

Also check the connector that is by the left wheel well in the trunk. They can be a PITA for wiring problems! Pull it apart. Clean all the nasty grease out of both sides. Clean the terminals. Install electrolytic grease. Done!