Epoxy floors experience / reviews

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Goodwrench1965, May 27, 2014.

1. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I've used certain clear floor coatings on my garage that improved the concretes resistance to oil and made the surface easier to keep clean. I've researched epoxy coatings like the ones from Quickcrete. I've read threads on here from guys putting that product down. I'm curious to hear feedback from folks as to how well the product holds up to wear and use. For example key questions would be:

Is the coating vulnerable to burns from welding sparks?

If you drill holes through the coating to bolt things to the floor will the epoxy tend to chip away from the new hole?

What other issues / priorities have you learned from coatings?

Please mention specifically the manufacturer and product if you have feedback.

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
  3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I'm also a big reader at Garage Journal.

I am frugal and concluded that having a pro contractor was too much $$
    per sq foot.
    I wound up having one contractor shot blast my 1700 sq foot shop for $600

After MUCH research I found local unemployed pro whom I helped do my own job
    and bought materials from local distributor.

There are a ton of EPOXY mfg's

I also did the full chip thing with 100% coverage of those small plastic chips
    under the clear epoxy and clear polyurethane.

I did save money, buy NONE of this is inexpensive!!!!!!!!!!

Do not have pics at this time

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I did my floor in 2005 when I built my garage. After the concrete cured enough, I cleaned it with Muriatic acid. That etched the floor enough to hold the paint. I used Sherwin-Williams paint.

A couple of caveats. I went with tan rather than grey so dropped bolts would show up. The only chipping I've seen is one area that gets heavy usage and steel jacks and such dragged around. Most of the floor looks like the day it was painted. Be SURE to add the grit. Get some more if you can. When it cures, it can be slick as snot. A little water or oil and your feet will fly out from under you. Spills clean up easy and even spilled battery acid hasn't touched it other than repeated dragging of sharp edges of steel.

5. notstock78

notstock78 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I used the Rustoleum Epoxy Shield on my floor last fall because I am too cheap to pay a contractor to do it. The only complaints I have so far is you can see all the dirt when all the crap melts off in the winter and I now have to cover the floor when I want to paint something in the garage. I have not had this a year yet so I cannot speak to longevity but so far so go. The one thing I was told about this stuff, it is like painting a car, prep is everything!

I have welded a few times on my bench since I did the floor, nothing excessive, and I have not noticed any blemishes yet.

Here is the thread that I put together while doing the floor.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269781