Enlosed Trailer and add ons

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by HawkX66, Oct 18, 2017.

1. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    Thanks Scott. You're right, those hooks are pretty cheap. I noticed the swivel hooks don't have a load rating though. It does look like a pretty good idea, but in my case I think I'd be fixing something that's not broken. My set up works fine for what I do.
    The tires I wasn't impressed with since day one. They were a cheap Made in China jobbies with a low load range. I put load range E back on it. They were wearing fine, but they did have a couple of cracks in the treads. I had them covered, so it wasn't just the UV rays wearing them. I think they were just junk tires from the get-go.
    I'd be temped to repaint the floor in my trailer with the floor paint you're talking about, but I think I'm going to give the LineX a chance for the ramp. That's more likely to see rain etc and get slippery.

2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Yeah some of their items don't mention a load rating, I would just call and ask them. I'm sure it's at least 3,000 or 3,333 lbs. like all 2" tie downs. I've never seen one 2" wide ratchet tie down that has a load rating beyond 3,333 lbs. Certain components maybe but not a complete assembly.

Here's another swivel hook they have with a 9,000 lb. break strength rating, so load rating is??
    https://www.autohaulersupply.com/ca...et-handles-j-hook-and-ratchet-yolk-552203.php

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have diamond plate on my ramps, but I have seen some great ideas posted in the YB trailer section.
    There is some great trial & error results there.

My 1st enclosed I used porch paint on the ramp with diamond plate runners.
    Now with golf carts and multiple cars going in & out I have the complete ramp covered.

4. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    YB, Yellow Bullet? I'll check it out. I'd use diamond plate, but I don't want the slippery surface when it's wet. It seems like LineX would do a good job as long as it adheres to the surface well. I'd try the at home ones, but they wouldn't be as thick.

5. mrdragster1970

Yes, try yellow bullet trailer section and read the threads about coatings.
    There has been several, with good tips on what sucks, and what works well.

I'm kind of old, and raced for a very long time and really never had an issue in the rain???
    The rubber stuff with diamond plate runners is the best of both worlds, but I believe it can be expensive.
    I'm old, my trailer is from before I knew about the rubber floor.
    If I was to do it again, it would probably be carpet in the trailer, rubber on the ramp & diamond plate runners.

Good luck, race safe!!!

6. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    Thanks. I thought about carpet, but I'd be afraid of deck rot. My floor is painted so I'll probably just leave it that way. I'm sure the diamond plate would be fine, but like carpet I'd still be afraid of deck rot. I want something that adheres directly to the surface and adds some grip like bed liner does.

7. mrdragster1970

I park my trailer inside, and never even thought about the deck rotting.
    I bought some of that commercial super duty carpet and had the carpet guy install it like a house.
    I have 2 of those giant drip trays under the car to keep the carpet clean.
    Then added the diamond plate runners.
    It was great on the knees doing the tie down, and looked much better than painted floors.

That new rubber stuff is awesome, but I heard it was very expensive???

8. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    I'd love to be able to park the trailer inside, but my barn door isn't quite tall enough. Carpet wouldn't work for me because I'm not just towing nice cars. You never know what's going in my trailer. I brought a 66 Mustang fastback roller out to western Michigan a few weeks ago. The car wasn't bad, but all the parts made a mess.

9. mrdragster1970

Don't forget the roof.
    We got caught in a storm last year and the whole back corner flooded.
    I never paid attention because I very rarely have it outside in a storm.
    I sealed up the corner then, and yesterday I started resealing all the roof screws just to be extra safe!!!!
    It does you no good to fix up the inside if the roof leaks.

10. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    My roof is one piece without screws so thankfully there are no leak issues there. The only two places a little water makes it in is the get out door and the ramp door which I'm going to take care of both before very long. I just re-did all my ramp door trim because Haulmark cheaped out on the screws. Now I want to go back and seal it up.

I removed the white pieces on the sides and the boxed in section around the ramp spring assembly. I did that to install the wiring for a better LED ramp light and switch by the ramp. The way Haulmark installed the ramp light, you had to be able to reach the actual light to turn it on. When I put it back together I used good screws instead of the crap Haulmark installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]