Enlosed Trailer and add ons

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by HawkX66, Oct 18, 2017.

1. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    What are you guys doing for a ramp covering on your enclosed trailers? I'm looking for something besides diamond plate and I want something that won't cause deck rot. Has anyone tried spraying bed liner? I thought that would be good if it got wet.
    Here's my trailer. I just scored a nice Superwinch for it. $100. I couldn't say no... I bought a Badlands (Harbor Freight) wireless controller for it ($29) and wired it in. Now I can either use the wired or wireless controller. Wireless is priceless if you've ever tried to load a non-running car by yourself. Forget the $200 Superwinch add ons. They are nothing special from what I can see other than being able to just plug it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I'm not trailering it's my extra shed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My recent trip to Florida claimed three tires. This is a 2014 trailer with new tires. WTF? I know it was 94 degrees and ridiculously humid, but dang... One blew on 75 about 30 min into Fl. I bought two new tires when I got to where I was going. One of the older two blew in the same area on the way back. Two more new tires in Georgia. The next morning after I got home one of the four new tires was flat! Damn tractor trailer re-tread got me on that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These Trailer Aids are priceless if you don't have one. (This pic isn't mine) It saves you from having to jack the trailer up on dual axle trailers.

[​IMG]

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Cool. As to the tires, air pressure is critical. Maybe that was a reason?

3. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    I'm sure it's a possibility, but I checked them before I left and after I got the new tires. The temps could have caused the psi to increase too much though I suppose. The trailer was empty on the way down too, so it's not like they were over loaded.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    What was the date code? Maybe the tires were older that 2014. Fla kills tires here faster than up north. Microbiological attack eats the rubber.

5. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    I bought the trailer in Mass, so it only saw FL for a few days total. Older tires is also possible. I was on a mission at the time and didn't bother with looking at the date codes.

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Winch Battery.jpg Winch.3500HarborFreight.jpg tn_RobbNewbyCamaroRepair 078.jpg tn_PaceShadowGT.RAW.pic 004.jpg unnamed (1).jpg SnapOnToolBox 019.jpg I high suggest all trailer owners buy straps and supplies at www.autohaulersupply.com

SEE my 10 Ply 80 PSI Trailer Tires Load Range E

Contact your local Line X dealer to see about coating ramp ????

Suggest you convert your ratchets to below swivel hooks so they are closer
    to D-Rings and in upright position (not twisted sideways)

Winch Battery.jpg Winch.3500HarborFreight.jpg tn_RobbNewbyCamaroRepair 078.jpg tn_PaceShadowGT.RAW.pic 004.jpg unnamed (1).jpg Winch.3500HarborFreight.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

what about that stuff they sell at home centers for restoring decks? its kinda like bed liner for wood. no experience, just throwing that out there.

8. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    Thanks for the post. I'll check out the link you posted. I like those swivel hooks. Honestly though, for the cost it wouldn't be worth it to me to convert. Mine work great. I don't think a little twist in the strap is going to bother anything.

[​IMG]

That's what I was thinking besides the LineX. I was just looking for anyone that has done it. I'd like to know how well it adhered to the wood. I think it would work great though.

9. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

The swivel hooks are CHEAP and its better to get ratchets further away from car (easier to operate)

10. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    To answer the question in post #1. I think a textured spray-on or roll-on bed liner would work good and be pretty durable. For a cheap alternative, I painted the complete floor in my trailer with a dove gray textured floor paint. It has grit in it so you get traction if it ever gets wet. Probable not as durable as bed liner but 2 gallons only cost me $50 and I can easily touch it up.

As for your tires.. Check you alignment and see how your tires are wearing, make sure they are wearing evenly. Maybe you have a bent axle? Also possible you ended up with a bad batch of tires or cheap quality set?
    My tires are 3 years old and have about 7500 miles on them with no issues yet. I paid a few dollars extra for heavy duty load range 'E' tires when I bought my trailer in 2014. My trailer is 30ft and rated at 10,500 lbs but I'm running it at 8500 lbs. when loaded with car, tools, jack, winch, battery etc...

As for swivel J-hooks shown in Chuck's picture above.. You can buy them separately and convert your straps, no need to buy new ratchet straps... That's what I did.
    Here's some links to different J-hooks. There are other towing suppliers but the link Chuck provided has a really good selection, that's where I bought mine too.
    https://www.autohaulersupply.com/ca...d-swivel-j-hook-for-ratchet-handle-553270.php

https://www.autohaulersupply.com/ca...atchets/bolt-on-j-hook-for-2-ratchet-4618.php

https://www.autohaulersupply.com/ca...d-bolt-on-finger-hook-for-ratchets-553214.php

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017