Engine suddely quits but restarts right away

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by SG71SS, Dec 18, 2017.

1. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

I searched the archives and didn't come up with a similar question.

This started happening recently on my 71 SBC350 bone stock. It will suddenly die. Funny thing it starts right back up with a turn of the key. Off I go.

Has happened three times and while the engine is running but not moving, such as a red traffic signal. Has not died on me while the vehicle is moving.

Don't think it's fuel related since it fires right up after it happens and then runs great other wise.

Any thoughts? Maybe something in the distributor cap or the coil perhaps? Any help is appreciated.

2. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Nashville
    i agree it does not sound fuel related, rather electrical. for me, tough to say what it could be. first things that come to mind: last time a tune up was done, battery cables tight, coil wire tight, ign switch. for it to quit, something would have to be killing the power...

3. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

agree if it is sudden with no rpm loss prior to shutting off that its electrical.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    If the car has an auto tranny, does it happen only in Drive? If so, look at your idle speed. Auto trannys drag the engine down to where they are more prone to dying in gear.

I've seen it on older vehicles that idle too slow, and even on newer EFI vehicles where the ECM isn't always able to make the transition from gas-brake, and back to gas so they just die. In that case they will restart if tried.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I would check the wires on the coil.