Engine run-on after shut down?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by engine, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Smkndtires

Smkndtires Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Aurora, CO USA
    Dude here is a trick for anyone who is dieseling and has an auto trans.
    Leave the transmission in D or R and then shut the key off. Since the trans is still engaged it will shut right off. If you have a manual trans you need to adjust timing or whatever.

2. 72_454

72_454 Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buckeye, AZ
    This also might be caused by high chamber pressures, aka-high compression engine. I switched to premium fuel and the run on went away.

3. 76L88

76L88 Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Aberdeen, SD
    Actually 72_454 probably has the right idea. Add a can of octane boost and see if the problem goes away after a couple drives. Whenever I used the cheaper gas (low octane that ignites too easy) in my truck it would run-on. I switched to the middle or expensive stuff (more octane so it wants to ignite less) - problem solved.

Also, your idle sounds a little high and that won't help either. I keep mine around 750 in park which ends up about 550-600 in gear. It's easier on the u-joints and the exhaust sound better belching away just a couple hundred R's over where it'd quit.

4. engine

engine Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2001
    The ghetto of Brooklyn
    I use 93 octane always. I have about 9.5:1 compression, so I don't wnat to try anything less. I'll try and bump my idle a bit lower, but with the idle in drive lower than about 750, car sounds like it's going to stall. But I'll try and see what it does. I haven't had the problem lately though.

5. Petes 81Z

Petes 81Z Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Mechanicsvile VA USA
    I was thinking the car by factory settings should idle at 800 rpm in park, not the 1000rpm you mentioned. Mine also diesels when the idle is up around 1000, anything less than that and it turns off fine.

6. engine

engine Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2001
    The ghetto of Brooklyn
    I'll try it maybe this weekend. Pretty busy and only get to tinker on weekends. But the car is a far cry from stock.