Engine Position, Stock vs. Solid Motor Mounts?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by StrongSurvivor, Mar 1, 2018.

1. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Hi Everyone,

I'm installing a new set of Doug's Headers on the small block in my '81, Z28. The header tubes are contacting the subframe crossmember and are too close to the front brake line that runs along that crossmember. This car has solid motor mounts, probably the Moroso solid steel mounts and I'm curious if these mounts set the engine higher and forward of the original mounts?

I plan to return to stock mounts with polyurethane inserts because the steel mounts pass too much vibration into the subframe. Will the stock mounts lower the engine and move it rearward?

If I can set the engine back as little as 1/2", my clearance problems are solved! Your comments are appreciated.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    From memory, the solid Moroso engine mounts with factory frame mounts just slightly lowered the engine, but did not affect the front/rear location in my case (72). But I had the same issue as you, header tube to close to the front brake line. A little dimpling may get you buy without changing things up and will not hurt performance. Also, the AllStar solid engine mounts are thicker than the Moroso's.

3. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I believe the Moroso solid mounts lower the engine some but do not move it forward or reward. If you are getting vibration I would definitely replace them with the stock mounts. Once you do this you can make a decision oon the header issue.

4. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Hey Zen,

Yeah, I've already bought new mounts and clam shells to replace the solid mounts. I'm pulling the engine in order to clean up the engine bay and install a new wiring harness, so while the engine's out I'll slot the holes in the cross member so I can move the engine back about a half inch. It all sounds so easy! ; - )