Engine pics of 80Z...what do you see?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JD Z, Aug 29, 2017.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

I'm learning what I can about this newly found Z. I don't have any background as to what has been done to the engine. It runs great with what seems to be good power, though I haven't really tested it. The sound/rumble is impressive. In my reasearching with this group on various topics I uncovered that my reverse lights not working could be the result of a header install.

From the pics what could you tell me about the engine updates? Any way to tell if these are cheap headers or good? The Holley carb...anything else I might want to know.

I've been an office guy too long, so wrenching stuff will be fun. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Is that a Hedman tag on the driver's side header?
    Those are usually considered to be good headers but the coating on them is looking pretty rough.

It has nice cast aluminum valve covers and an aftermarket intake manifold. (appears to be a single plane air-gap style)

Sorry... Can't tell you anything about the carb from the pics other than it's a Holley.

JD Z likes this.
  3. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Yes, the tag on the header says Hedman. The carb has the label "Holley, the heart and soul of performance".

With the valve covers and manifold being replaced, would there likely have been more work done, or is that just for looks?

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    To tell the truth IMO without doing some basic testing its a normal V8 with headers & a aftermarket intake an a Holly. A compression test would tell a little bit. 160-170 average on the cylinders would mean a low compression engine, dished Pistons, open chamber heads. 190-200 psi mean high compression engine, flat top Pistons. Take one of the valve covers off an find out what the casting number is. Your intake manifold looks like an old Holly intake, is there any numbers cast into it? It's to hard to say what's in it.

JD Z likes this.
  5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Orange engine in an 80 model. Could be anything but there's been some work done on it I'd guess. Sound like a stock cam or does it have some chop? Auto trans or manual? Quit teasing us and post some more pics.

6. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

4 speed. A few pics attached. I'm just working through the minor annoyances of a 37 year old car. That's new to me but interesting. I have no idea what the previous owners might have done on the engine. It sounds great and has power...from a guy driving a 2014 GMC truck of recent. :)

Attached Files:

7. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Tom3, if you mean by some chop, the car has more get up and go than the identical car I had when I was 17. That car was considered a runner in the county. So I don't know about the cam, but given what we can see on the motor and it runs very well...I'm curious.

8. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Listen to a video of a street car with an aftermarket cam in it. Does it sound similar or does your exhaust sound like a smooth rumble?

JD Z likes this.
  9. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    That car is clean, meaning it was taken care of. It looks great to me. Enjoy.

JD Z likes this.
  10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Nice car. I like the blue color. I use to paint all my chevy engines orange. Never liked the blue on engines. It's ok. I have painted a few all Black too.

JD Z likes this.