Engine building books?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Mullerice, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks and I’ll be tracking these down and any others I can locate. Won’t be bothering with any computer sims Mrdragster, but thanks for the warning!

Right, best get a coffee and the reading glasses....thanks again for the help. Mullerice

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Thats the reason I like books ,Thats the way I learned about cars before the net.

3. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks again for all of the replies, I now have an additional bunch of books to draw info from.

One other thought regarding this, my first Mouse rebuild, is are there any shop manuals, or specific engine shop manuals that include blown diagrams showing all parts? The reason is I’m starting the rebuild from a 1973 half engine, so will be putting the puzzle back together, so to speak, without having taken it apart in the first place. I don’t want to miss anything out!

I found a 1973 Chevy Truck manual online, but there were very few diagrams and the rebuild info was fairly brief.

Thanks for any info/ ideas, this support is much appreciated. Mullerice

4. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
  5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Look for books by Dave Vizard. Very good source

6. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks, and you’re right, his SA Series Max Performance book and standard rebuild from HP Books are excellent. I’m just “widening the net” so to speak. The more the merrier...

7. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Don't judge a book by it's........ But looking at the engine on the front, I guess it's covering for most part, 4 cyl engines.

Although the physics will remain the same, I think it's a lot of money for general information and not being able to use the tips, tricks and detailed information.

There are better books for this kind of money.

8. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for your continued input Camaro71, a lot of guys are well beyond the book stage, but they help a lot at the beginning for someone like myself. If you could be more specific on books that are better value, that would be brill.

I sourced most of the ones from a month or so ago, having completed Lingenfelter, and more recently, Graham Hanson on big inch SBC building. Just starting hot rodding SBC by Bill Fisher n Bob Waar. SY Power Secrets and Grumpy Jenkins book are both pretty pricey nowadays, like the W. Wilson one above; shame they’re not reprinted! Keep ‘em coming...thanks again.

9. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thought I’d add a few posts about books I’m getting through; might help future builders looking for books to make some decisions and also helps me formalise in my mind where all this reading will end up - hopefully with a successful build under my belt!

David Vizard Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy: Thoroughly put together and well edited with many tips and things to watch out for. Also really valuable are the parts lists and schematics that are invaluable if you are starting only with a short block and want to make sure you don’t miss anything out!

Atherton & Schreib SBC Stock and High Performance Rebuilds: Loads of of photos and a great overview on the process of going from a cut out to running in a fully rebuilt engine. Pre-assembly section insightful/ helpful.

These two could be a great place to start if, like myself, you are starting at the beginning of a long road...