Engine building books?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Mullerice, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Hi all, would appreciate any recommendations to help with a 1973 350 rebuild - stock or performance based. Found reference to a couple of old books on this thread, can anyone help identify which books they are, fourth post down?:-

http://nastyz28.com/threads/block-clearancing-for-rotating-assembly.315663/

I’m based in the UK so probably don’t have access to quite as many as in the US, but I’ve made my way through a few by Vizard, Hansen, Monroe, Voegelin and just found the Lingenfelter book. Smokey Yunick book presumably fantastic, but really hard to get hold of over here...

Books not everyone’s tipple, but for myself it’s a great way of accessing material that could make the difference between a successful build and an expensive mistake! The more the merrier as I can’t have enough engine building info.

Thanks in advance, Mullerice

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Here you go. The first one is all you need for a step by step disassembly, checks and reassembly of your SBC. It will provide you a couple of extra options as well.

The second one contains a lot of old school tips and tricks but most have been already incorporated in modern aftermarket parts. Still good reading to increase knowledge and far more in depth than most modern, 'bolt-on' books.

The rest is even more in depth theory and tips, not necessary for a regular rebuild. Some are not being reprinted any more so you have to look for an affordable price.

Good luck.

3. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for that, really helpful. I’ve read the top rec’ but a more up to date version of. The last one looks great and is part of a trilogy...will be tracking those down and looking up the others.

Please add if anyone has found any others particularly insightful.

Thanks again Camaro71, appreciate that.

4. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Just for general information, got also this old and rare book. If anyone is looking for info on one of the topic let me know, I can send you some pics. It contains specs for a couple old school performance builds. IMAG0996.jpg IMAG0997.jpg

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    A outfit called SAE books is the main publisher these kind of books And I have quite a number of them. I found them at book stores speed shops.Along with books on suspension.and aerodynamics And they are still around

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I got most of those too at local mall book store. Found some at a yard sale. My library has some too. They were greased up. No respect.

7. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Camaro71, a few pics would be fantastic; the small block blue printing and super tuning section sounds interesting.

On the other link regarding rotating assembly clearances, there are two pics you posted "page 18" and the other "-Volume 2" - which specific books are these from, any of the above you listed?

I'm UK based, so locating these books may be tricky, but if I have recommended titles, I can start tracking 'em down. Really appreciate you guys posting back here to help me out in 'Little Britain'.....Mullerice

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just an FYI before anyone pisses away a bunch of dough.
    My crew chief has been using the same old engine build books for at least 30 years.
    The basics are the basics, you don't need some $1000 interactive computer program!!!!

9. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    "Page18" is from the second book from top. The other one isn't shown here in the pics.

I'm living in Europe as well, but never had a problem buying these books, just go to amazon.com and order as many as you like.