Engine bay beautifying

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Cameron Bryant, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Cameron Bryant

Cameron Bryant New Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Got a 1980 camaro several months ago. Recently started tearing into it, and the previous owner replaced the factory v6 with a 350, and left all the wiring, which I will be cleaning up and hiding. I would like any tips anybody has for moving all the other crap (hoses going to the charcoal canister, the routing of the wires, etc.). Any advice and pictured would be appreciated.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Take lots of pic's and label parts put them in baggies for later. Keep them in a box together. Nothing like going back a year or so later and have to search for hours or days to find your stuff. Just tear it up.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Some of the wiring and hoses can be hidden above the wheel well, inside the fender.

Black makes a lot of things "disappear" with a black block and some contrasting shiny aluminum. (Black vacuum hoses, plug wires and harness wrap in particular.)
    Play with the routing.. Maybe extend a couple of hoses to keep them out of sight or to follow the curves of other components.

I replaced a V6 with a V8 a couple of decades ago...
    I finally went back and cleaned things up when I swapped in a crate 350, 9 years ago.

I kept the A/C system and most of the vacuum lines so it would appear to be built of "stock" parts. (It is, for the most part, except for the headers.)

This is what I ended up with...

[​IMG]

Dave Nelson and budro6968 like this.
  4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    +1 on taking lot's of pictures. be surprised how quickly one forgets where stuff goes back in.

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Lots of pics and I used zip lock bags and tag inside also wrote on the outside of bags. Stored them in boxes labeled them dash,door panel,engine compartment and so on. Broke them down Into detailed categories I guess is what I am trying to say.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Don't know where you live but in Texas you can get antique licenses plates then you won't have to get an inspection then you can ditch the charcoal can & EGR. Moving the battery to the trunk helps to make things look better. I ran the fuel line up the firewall to the back of the carb(electric fuel pump). Made a sheet metal heat shield an put it between the headers an the engine an ran alt., starter wiring thru it. An also ran wiring between the inner fender & outer. Ditch that old radiator puke tank & mount a smaller one where the battery was. Used 1 in. convoluted tubing & rerouted the wires on the firewall, ran smaller tubing from it to other things.