Enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by FlaJunkie, May 20, 2015.

1. dcart1

dcart1 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2009
    springfield,ohio
    I have a 2007 Silverado 4x4 with trailer tow package 6.0 engine 1500. It was a 1 year only engine on the 1500 then. I towed a single axle trailer 6x12 with just a motorcycle inside through the Shenandoah valley and it struggled. I do not want to drive that often in tow.

2. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I just started towing a trailer myself. 17' open steel deck trailer. I guess the weight is around 2400 lbs, plus my heavy homemade 8' ramps at 200 lbs, plus the tool box, 12K winch and battery in the tool box which probbly adds another 160 lbs.

So 2760 lbs empty trailer. I am towing it with a 1987 suburban 2wd, 1/2 ton, 350 SBC all stock. 210 HP, 300 ft lbs torque.

I have not towed in steep mnts. like yall are talking about, but I did tow 100 miles north of me close to the Tenn. state line and it done ok up there.

3. 1970camaronut

1970camaronut Veteran Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Port St Lucie, FL
    Did you make your decision yet? I guess you will be pulling it to MD this month?

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I keep flip-floppin' but I am leaning towards the Husky Pup.
    All things are going well to be at the Nationals this month.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had an enclosed trailer for about 20 years, I'm on my 3rd, starting with a 24' up to my 30' triple axle now.
    Yes, tons & tons use a 1/2 ton with a small engine, and I did also, for 1 trip.
    I immediately went out and bought a 3/4 ton extended cab before my next race.
    I've also seen goofs tow a 16-18' open trailer using a ranger or S-10.
    Headlights pointed at the moon, and a diaper on for unexpected braking!!!!

That being said, if you don't need a golf cart, don't need generator, don't need a big tool box and other heavy items,
    maybe a 20' will work if your rig is under weight limits???

I would hope if you are going to do it against advice of the experts, at least get the proper hitch & sway control system.
    It won't stop the trailer from over powering the truck in an emergency, but it will help the rest of the time.

6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    You know, I really appreciate all of the comments.

I have towed my Camaro across the county on an open Uhaul trailer with my 2001 Silverado 1500 half ton. No issues at all.

The enclosed trailer probably weighs about 1000 pounds more.

My new Silverado is rated about 11,000 towing pounds. Shouldn't be an issue.