Enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by FlaJunkie, May 20, 2015.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I have 10 ply E rated TOW-MAX trailer tires and E rated Truck Tires .......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

A 1/2 ton can haul a trailer like this okay. Just get it long enough and set the tie downs so that the car is balanced over the axles. That way the trailer does the work. All the truck does is pull it and activate the brakes. Note the flush latch on the passenger side walk in door? That's what you want. It's called an RV latch. I've seen guys get cutsie and slip a screwdriver into the swing type latch to lock people in their trailers. These guys often get treated rather rudely.

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
  4. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Did I read that correctly the base 14' Serpent Express Trailer is 4300.00? Does that include the Trailer?

The Retro kit is 1400.00 for a 14' trailer so it looks like all in for 5K with extras.

Does anybody have one of these?

5. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Jesus, I hope it includes the trailer. For that coin though I'd go with a regular one.
    Kinda neat though for guys like me that already have open haulers.

6. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    High price is with trailer.

I think I'm gonna burn more fuel and go old school...

Husky Pup

[​IMG]

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree. A 1/2 ton is no towing vehicle for an enclosed trailer and a car inside. My Son moved from North Dakota to Washington. He has a Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3. That little 5.3 has no torque, so it has no pulling power to cross the Rocky Mts, the Bitterroots, and the Cascades. He made 3 trips with it pulling his various cars, and they were all difficult. Then, he bought a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454. The Suburban pulls the trailer like it isn't back there. It has load range E tires, heavier suspension, and the full torque of the 454. The little 5.3 struggled on level ground if there was wind, and just plain ran out of power when the mountains had to be climbed. The 5.3 had to be in 2nd gear with the gas pedal floored to get to 50 mph to go over Bozeman Pass. The 454 sails over that same grade in Drive at 75 mph pulling the trailer. And, under that load, the 454 gets better mileage than the 5.3.
    These new 5.3 engines are built to be economy engines, and don't have the torque of the old 327s. The HP numbers look good on paper and the engine does great with the truck empty, but it can't pull a load.

8. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Guess I'll find out because I have a new Silverado half ton and it's going to be with me for a while.
    I have looked for the lightest combination of trailer but it either isn't available or way too expensive.
    By the way, I don't ever plan to take the car through, to or near the Rockies! :cool:

9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I have an '08 Silverado 1500 LTS 5.3 Active Fuel Management and no issue, pulling these:

[​IMG]

... and one of these ...

[​IMG]

The boat I tow about 3 miles ... the Camaro I tow about 50 miles to the track and then 50 miles back.

On the way back we go through the Lincoln tunnel and across 34th street to the midtown tunnel to the big hill on the LIE and then all they way to Long Island ... up down left and right.

No issues at all :)

10. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    That uhaul trailer weighs 2210 pounds. Your Camaro is about 3500 pounds for a gross towing weight of about 5700 pounds.

The enclosed trailer weighs about 3200 pounds so the Gross is about 1000 pounds more for the enclosed trailer.

I think it will work Ok in the flatlands! :D