Enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by FlaJunkie, May 20, 2015.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I am gonna need one, soon.

I'm wondering what experience you all have had.

How long is best? How short can it be and be useful? (Not sex questions, thank you.)

Best builder, cheapest costs?

And above all, how do you drive a long-door Camaro into one and get out of it inside the trailer? :eek:

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

If you plan to haul a car, you need a minimum of 8.5 X 20 feet. A ramp rear door and a side door on both sides. The right side is usually in front of the axles and the drivers side is over the axles so you can get out of the car and trailer. If you can get an RV latch on the right side walk in door, so much the better. A Vee nose will give a little more cargo room inside without a longer trailer. You also want brakes on both axles. A lot of them have them on one axle but both axles will give you better control and let your tow vehicles brakes last longer.

Now, you need to make sure your tow vehicle is up to the task. 3.55 gears will do okay but 3.73 or 3.91 are better. If you have an automatic transmisson, get a transmission cooler installed if you don't have one. If you get a bumper pull trailer, use an equalizing hitch with sway control. Rear or four wheel drive is MANDATORY. FWD will pull a small trailer but not a car trailer.

I have a 6 X 12 cargo trailer and I have tie downs for a generator and such when I raced. I was wiring it for electricity to use it as a mobile work shop but quit racing before I got it done. The RV latch keeps some cute person from locking you in the unit. The Vee nose really helps on the highway in strong winds. My trailer doesn't blow around in heavy cross winds (with in reason). Other enclosed trailes with the same truck jerked me around on the road

As for getting out of the car, roll the window down and climb out. That's what the left side door is for. Don't forget plenty of stout tie downs.

3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Many enclosed car trailers have a 7000GVW axle package (vs the better 10K)
    When you consider the weight of your Camaro AND the weight of the trailer
    7K doesnt leave a lot of extra capacity for hauling extra stuff. THINK about it.
    as bent axles and other failures WILL happen.

Also Trailer Tire problems, blowouts are a constant issue for many. I upgraded my tires to E load rating which has more weight capacity
    at 80 PSI. Not saying this is a miracle cure, but a good improvement.

Hard to find used trailers with left hand escape doors. Almost all trailers
    will have the right hand, forward man/entry door.

I have a 20' Pace American Shadow GT.....

4. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I like the V nose idea. As to towing, I have a 2015 Silverado with factory tow/haul and a hitch.

There is no way in hell I am climbing out the driver side window, except if the car is on fire! :eek:

So 10K GVW and E load tires? OK.

There must be a way to drive a long-door Camaro into a trailer and get out of the door...isn't there?

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I have a 26' Pace American. It's big and heavy with a square nose. It gets blown around on the interstate pretty good with big trucks going by, even with sway and stabilizer bars. It can be a white knuckle ride. The "E" rated tires helped a lot. They are for your truck, not the trailer, just to make that clear. They are 10 ply rated sidewalls which help cut down sway a lot. Never put car tires on a trailer. They're different. There's no way I could ever get out of my Camaro once it's in the trailer. That's a legitimate concern. That's why I got a remote winch. Just leave the drivers side window down and steer it in. I'm not crazy about certain things about the enclosed, but there are other things I wouldn't want to do without. The open trailer is so much easier to pull, see around and back up, but you get spoiled having your garage with you.

6. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Great post!

Tires are stock on my new truck, so I'll probably not be changing them soon,

Get a winch! Yup, that's IT! :D

I want enclosed to better protect the car while pulling it.

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    How heavy is your Silverado and what engine and gearing do you have? A 1500 can often do okay pulling a large trailer but a 2500HD will be a better match. I say HD because GM puts the 2500 label on two types of pickups. There's the regular with normal semi floating axles. These are the same as a 1500. The HD trucks have a full floating rear axle like my Dodge or a ford. The heavier chassis won't sweat much pulling a heavy trailer but the lighter duty one can have issues on long trips and in hilly terrain.

If you can afford one and have enough room to park one, a longer trailer, like 24 or 26 feet, will give you more cargo room as well as more versatility. Add a roof a/c unit and you have a place to stay cool at the track.

8. FlaJunkie

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Just have the new 1500 with tow/haul. I really do not need anything extra...just an enclosed trailer to pull the Camaro in.

9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I have a 1500 4x4 5.3L 2008 Silverado and it pulls my Camaro on a flat trailer from Long Island to Englishtown NJ no issues and no sway.

BTW, it also pulls my 21ft Aquasport Explorer with 100 gallons of fuel almost every other weekend to my boat ramp again no issues no white knuckles.

10. junky1

junky1 Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    cocoa florida
    Jim....found a few locals in the 26" range, one was a v-nose......