electrical short... most options tried

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by sick76, Nov 19, 2002.

1. sick76

sick76 Member

Oct 8, 2001
    chester, nj USA
    ok so i have a wonderful short in my maro.. the circuit that runs my dash lights, my cigarette lighter, my dome light, and my head unit has a complete ground short. so, i checked the headunit. disconnected the constant power wire, capped it and connected the head unit into switched power,(pain in the as* but it works).. checked my dome light.. wires looked a little suspicious so i cut and capped them. disconnected the cigarette lighter because that is usually the cause for the problem.. and yet still when i try to put a new fuse in it blows before i can get it even in the hole... so heres what i'm thinking.. could it be a short in back of the fuse box itself? due to the fact that it sits against the firewall and that is metal and tends to condense water?... help!!!

------------------
    Why walk a "stairway to heaven" when i can ride a "highway to hell!!"
    "Rednecks don't always drive pickup trucks, some have sense and drive camaro's!"

2. Petes 81Z

Petes 81Z Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Mechanicsvile VA USA
    I beleive the dash lights run throught the printed circuit board. Just an idea, but I chased a dead short(the circuit would blow immediately when a new fuse was put in) and found that 2 of the tabs at the end of the circuit board where the wiring connector plugs in were touching each other. After supergluing them in place, problem solved!

3. dgrewhl

dgrewhl Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2002
    north carolina, USA
    mine looked bad when I took the wiring outta mine,,,rusted/corroded,,definite possibility....Petes got a great point as well,,my circuit board was definetly messed up at the connectors,,,probably what happened before the previous owner decided to try and fix it and totally ruined it..
    g'luck
    mike

4. 79er

79er Member

Nov 3, 2002
    LA, California
  5. 79er

79er Member

Nov 3, 2002
    LA, California
    Sorry, got it backwards, needle starts shaking when you pass over the short. Been a while since I used it.