Electric cooling fans - Worth it for horsepower..?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Mitch1981Z28, Jun 12, 2017.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I can. Been using one for I think about many years now, never a lick of trouble with it.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

its just a 4th gen camaro setup. You can get them used for $25-$75 every day.

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I tried two local junk yards with no joy. I can get a new Four Seasons aftermarket assembly from Rock Auto for $129. That seems pretty reasonable for new hardware.

Whaddya think?

4. BonzoHansen

i like OE stuff, but have at it for $129 its reasonable.

5. Bopfly

Bopfly Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Griffin, Ga
    I just picked up the fan assembly from a Gen 4 for $100 at a junk yard. I liked the look better. I also picked up an early Gen 3 alternator but had to buy a reman. I'm just waiting on the controller. Anyone have any pics of their setup? I would love to see what it looks like done before I start my install.

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    i have 1 controller for each fan. one is a push in probe on the radiator, the other is a thread in switch on the manifold. both controllers are mounted to the shroud. i have a large maxi-fused feed to a terminal strip that the fans draw power from. The push in probe controller is from hayden, and its blown a relay or 2, but when it breaks, the fan stays on all the time. i dont recommend that one. flex a lite has a variable speed controller that will go in shortly. i have a 100 amp alternator.

7. thrasher

thrasher Veteran Member

May 27, 2006
    Prices have gone up quite a bit around me in the last few years. Most of the salvage yards have been purchased and brought into the crappy incorporated world. LKQ is an example. Prices are pretty much set and posted on a board. No real price breaks unless you know someone that works there.

8. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    I wired up mine the same way GM did http://lh4.ggpht.com/_D1O7K_QiCIk/SmKT0EYdFDI/AAAAAAAAAyk/fG8nh0ftaq0/s800/2000 LS1 fan diagram.jpg

Only thing I did differently was use a BMW temp switch Part # 61311378073 in place of the pcm (just soldered a threaded fitting into the radiator tank)

There's a a lot of good threads on this subject in the electrical forums

9. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Jan 17, 2002
    TRAFFORD, PA.
    Nice diagram, I'm a draftsmen by trade, so I can read that stuff. I'll look in on the other post, did a little of that all ready. My belt drive set up works fine for what it is. Working on brakes now, I will get into that later. Leaning towards dual fans when the time comes. Good stuff :happy:

10. BonzoHansen

That's gm's diagram, I hope it's ok lol